Priming Serviced Hydraulic System

/ Priming Serviced Hydraulic System #1  

dstankus

Tractor
Hydro 1600 Eliminator
Is it necessary to 'prime' a serviced hydraulic system. This was an absolute tear down and rebuild. Steel lines removed and blown out due to junk in the system.

Would you try to crank the engine with the intention of not starting the tractor for a little bit?

My tractor has a hydrostatic transmission and a hydraulic three point lift.

Its a TX2160 (Bolens H1502). Any help would be appreciated.

/ Priming Serviced Hydraulic System #2  
With a hydrostatic transmission, you are supposed to bleed the pump by turning over the engine with out starting, to remove all the air. I would fill the filter also. Gear pumps usually prime themselves.

Filling the pump would help get it primed faster. The cyl should self bleed, by operating the cyls through several cycles. Same with the 3pt.

/ Priming Serviced Hydraulic System #3  
If you have a hydrostatic transmission and the oil was drained out of the pump, then you need to fill the case on the main hyd pump before start-up.....

the case drain ports are different on each brand of pumps.....

find out if/where these are and fill them using a funnel or pump oiler......

another good thing to do is get the drive wheels off the ground during initial start-up for safety and allowing air to purge without putting any stress on the hyd system....put it through all the functions....(forward/rev/up/down/tilt)......if there is anything wrong you'll see it before you try to drive it.......let it idle while running it though all the functions for 20/30 mins...

also check oil levels very close during the first few seconds/minutes as the reservoir level will drop while circulating oil to those newly cleaned hoses/tubes....

/ Priming Serviced Hydraulic System #4  
On my hydrostatic pump, there are fittings to bleed the pump while turning the engine without starting until all the bubbles stop.

You might check your manual for the correct procedure.