Manually moving a new cylinder stroke

/ Manually moving a new cylinder stroke #1  

scottrh

Bronze Member
I have new 2X4X1.25 DA cylinder[1] and need to open the stroke 1/2 way to get measurements. Should I be able to just remove the hose caps and somehow force the stroke to move outward? It is difficult pulling on it in my vice. Any suggestions are appreciated. Scott.

[1] https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?item=9-6466-04

/ Manually moving a new cylinder stroke #2  
Yes it should move, but it will take some effort especially if brand new. Put a few drops of oil on the shaft near the seal and try twisting first to break the static friction. That tightness is what keeps the hydraulic oil in at a couple thousand PSI. I usually put a screwdriver through both clevis's, stand on one, and pull on the other.

/ Manually moving a new cylinder stroke #3  
If you have an air compressor and a blow nozzle with a rubber tip, you are all set.

Is that the cylinder that you bought?

/ Manually moving a new cylinder stroke #4  
Make sure the ports are open, and put some muscle on the pull.

/ Manually moving a new cylinder stroke
Ok thanks everyone. i will try my air compressor. I have a good one.
Yes - i have that cylinder and others. Plan on cutting and welding it. Probably over thanksgiving or so. Good fall project.

/ Manually moving a new cylinder stroke #6  
Be careful with that air, because if you add a lot of air pressure, the cyl rod just might let go and extend at a rapid rate, and if you are in the way, OUCH, or OH Crap.

/ Manually moving a new cylinder stroke #7  
Be careful with that air, because if you add a lot of air pressure, the cyl rod just might let go and extend at a rapid rate, and if you are in the way, OUCH, or OH Crap.

I will add that you may want to cover the port at the rod end with a rag. It is common to have some oil left over from assembly and it does like to shoot out all over the place. I do this everyday and forget :ashamed: that it is a new process for others.

/ Manually moving a new cylinder stroke
thanks for the warnings too. the air works perfectly at 90 PSI. thanks again. Scott