Log Splitter on BX25

/ Log Splitter on BX25 #1  

Tractor Seabee

Elite Member
Port Orchard WA Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
Tractor
Kubota BX25
I want to get a log splitter but am confused by the Kubota Power Beyond (PB) feature. The 3PT splitters I have seen so far only have two hoses. I would propose to use the Backhoe hydraulics which has the three hoses. With the BH off the PB hose couples to the Supply (P) connector and the Tank Return (T) is left capped. Logic from tracing the hydraulic circuits in the shop manual tells me that it should work using the P connection and either the R or T connection as eventually the PB piping goes to the tank but maybe the PB is the better one. Also I would pre-fill the top of the cylinder (they hold a lot) in the upright posistion to keep from running the tank too low when first putting in operation. After that any fluid would either be in one end of the cylinder or the other. I would put a vent connection on the top of the upright cylinder to bleed air instead of circulating all of it.

Am I on the right track? My dealer says don't do it as he has never seen a successful hook up for a 3PT log splitter and will no longer sell them as he has had to take too many back. With the 6.3 gpm pump capacity I would expect slow cycling but I am not planning to make a living with it just save my poor old back. That is why I would use one in the vertical posistion. The big limiting factor is the hydraulic pressure limited by the relief valve to 1778-1849 psi which I assume is factory set at the lower value. But this is also a function of the cylinder Diameter but the larger the cylinder the slower the cycling.

I get the idea fast that my dealership is a little short in the hydraulic theory arena. They seem to want to stay with only Kubota recommendations. Strange as they also sell construction equipment. Also I cannot get power curves for either the PTO or the Hydraulics. I do not like to run my engine full open if the load does not require it. I usually stay around 2100 RPM and can do most things I need to do. I tend to baby my equipment as experience indicates that it lasts longer. At the max throttle of 3200 RPM the engine is screaming.

Am I thinkig straight. I need some experienced advice, Ron

/ Log Splitter on BX25 #2  
If you do not have a remote valve, and your hyd flow is from pump, FEL , 3pt, tank, then you can do this. Connect a hose from FEL PB out, to a QD at the back

Make another hose with a QD that will go to the IN on the 3pt.

When using the BH, plug in the BH PB hose to the 3pt QD.

The BH IN hose plugs into the QD from the FEL , and run the BH tank port to tank. .

When not using the BH, connect a short jumper hose to the two hoses at the back, and everything will be back to normal.

/ Log Splitter on BX25
JJ,

I am now more confused, I think you misinterpreted what I am after. Bottom line of my long explanation; which two of the three connections P, PB, T for the back hoe will operate a log splitter? Or, do I need a valve on the log splitter that has all three connections also. I saw one in the Surplus Center catalog but it is 270 some bucks. I have the backhoe and all the connections so do not need to go up to the FEL as far as I can tell from the Kubota diagrams.

Ron

/ Log Splitter on BX25 #4  
Correction

You only need a PB source for the pressure IN for the splitter. If you can get the PB from the hyd block, fine.

If the log splitter valve does not have a PB out port. The return hose from the log splitter will go to the 3pt. This is not ideal as some valves can not take back pressure.

If your log splitter valve has a PB port, then the PB out of the log splitter valve will go to the 3pt. The tank port from the log splitter valve should go to tank.

Last edited:
   / Log Splitter on BX25 #5  
The reason that the dealer will not do a log splitter setup, is about the back pressure on a FEL valve with out PB. If you look at the specs for most valves, you will see back pressure about 500 psi on the tank port.

Valves with a PB port can take the full valve or pump pressure.

/ Log Splitter on BX25 #6  
Am I thinkig straight. I need some experienced advice, Ron

I have a bucket grapple that uses quick disconnect hoses connected to a WR Long electric valve kit I installed at my PB point beneath the loader. The valve kit diverts the fluid from the bucket and loader to the grapple.

Last year I bought a Speeco 3 pt splitter. I simply move the QD hoses from the bucket grapple to the splitter and split away. My B7800 only has 9.8 gallons per minute from both pumps and the maximum from one pump less the 7 gpm. The splitter works fine while my B7800 hums along at 1500 to 1800 RPM's.

Several TBNer's with BX models have posted about adding a 3PT spiltter to their tractor. A search of the posts should help you.

/ Log Splitter on BX25 #7  
Northland,

If you are running that engine at 1500 rpm while log splitting, you are only getting about 3.1 GPM's. If that give the speed you like then it is all good.

There is a fast extend log splitter valve made by Prince that will take 4 GPM and make it 25 GPM, and that will definitely speed up the splitting cycle.

/ Log Splitter on BX25 #8  
JJ,

Do they make a regen valve that does the regen in both directions? It may be a good upgrade for the Powerhorse that splits in both directions...

Regards,
Chris

/ Log Splitter on BX25 #9  
No regen on retract that I know of. If someone did have the regen on both extend and retract, they would be bragging about.

Prince claims their log splitter valve is Blazing fast, and it is, at about 6 : 1 ratio on speed increase. . You put 4 GPM's in, and get 25 GPM's out. You can only use this valve on single stage hyd pumps.

/ Log Splitter on BX25 #10  
Northland,

If you are running that engine at 1500 rpm while log splitting, you are only getting about 3.1 GPM's. If that give the speed you like then it is all good.

There is a fast extend log splitter valve made by Prince that will take 4 GPM and make it 25 GPM, and that will definitely speed up the splitting cycle.

Thanks for the advice JJ. I will look for one of those Prince valves if I feel the need for more speed. That would sure beat adding a PTO pump and hydrualic fluid reservoir:)

It's like this? - Prince LSR Rapid Extend Logsplitter Valve - Cylinder Services