Hydraulic Quick-Connect Couplings

/ Hydraulic Quick-Connect Couplings #1  

cmhyland

Platinum Member
Tractor
2000 Kubota B2910
Hi guys,

I have a Powerhorse 3pt splitter coming. It should show up this week.
Last year in installed a Power Beyong rear block on my B2910. The in and out ports on this block are 1/4 in NPT. I installed 1/4 in hoses and added a Pioneer 1/4 quick-connect coupling.

The tractor output from this block is 4.8 GPM and the 1/4 hose sould support up to 5GPM based on what I was reading. When I started looking for quick-connect couplings I noticed that in the 1/4 size some can be as low as .5 gpm, and most don't exceed 3 gpm.

I will move everything up to 3/8 quick-connects which support 6 gpm.

Is this what other people have done? I guess I hadn't thought about how much a quick-connect would restrict flow.

/ Hydraulic Quick-Connect Couplings #2  
I would think it'll still be rather limited by the 1/4" block fittings, but by going bigger at least you won't add more restriction.

I am using 3/8" FF QD's on my hydraulic saw, it runs off my tractor hydraulics which is 6 GPM @ 1500 PSI. The saw accepts 8 GPM, and the 3/8" couplings are what it comes with.

I use 1/2" stuff on my 3-pt logsplitter, but am going to switch to 3/4 soon, with 1" on the PTO pump inlet.
I have some things I want to try on that splitter, and when I do it, I will move upto 3/4" cylinder hoses and pressure hose. I am going to experiment with a regen circuit. (the splitter runs off of the PTO pump, the saw off of the tractor hydraulics)

/ Hydraulic Quick-Connect Couplings
N8ghz,

Thanks for the info. Based on what I've read 1/4 in is capable of 5 gpm and the tractor specs say 4.8 out of that port so I think that is all reasonable...

I don't see any upside in changing to larger hoses when the limiting factor is the 1/4 in ports. What I'm just trying to do now is make sure the QCs don't reduce the little flow I have....

Regards,
Chris

/ Hydraulic Quick-Connect Couplings #4  
I agree, and the 3/8" should flow all that the 1/4" ports can supply.