Tractor
    2000 Kubota B2910

Default Hydraulic Quick-Connect Couplings

Hi guys,

I have a Powerhorse 3pt splitter coming. It should show up this week.
    Last year in installed a Power Beyong rear block on my B2910. The in and out ports on this block are 1/4 in NPT. I installed 1/4 in hoses and added a Pioneer 1/4 quick-connect coupling.

The tractor output from this block is 4.8 GPM and the 1/4 hose sould support up to 5GPM based on what I was reading. When I started looking for quick-connect couplings I noticed that in the 1/4 size some can be as low as .5 gpm, and most don't exceed 3 gpm.

I will move everything up to 3/8 quick-connects which support 6 gpm.

Is this what other people have done? I guess I hadn't thought about how much a quick-connect would restrict flow.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    (2) IH284Diesels,GE-E8m,GE-E14 Elec-Trac's

Default Re: Hydraulic Quick-Connect Couplings

I would think it'll still be rather limited by the 1/4" block fittings, but by going bigger at least you won't add more restriction.

I am using 3/8" FF QD's on my hydraulic saw, it runs off my tractor hydraulics which is 6 GPM @ 1500 PSI. The saw accepts 8 GPM, and the 3/8" couplings are what it comes with.

I use 1/2" stuff on my 3-pt logsplitter, but am going to switch to 3/4 soon, with 1" on the PTO pump inlet.
    I have some things I want to try on that splitter, and when I do it, I will move upto 3/4" cylinder hoses and pressure hose. I am going to experiment with a regen circuit. (the splitter runs off of the PTO pump, the saw off of the tractor hydraulics)
    "We, the Unwilling, Led by the Unknowing, set off to accomplish the impossible...the difficult...we do immediatly....the impossible just takes a little longer"

Tractor
    2000 Kubota B2910

N8ghz,

Thanks for the info. Based on what I've read 1/4 in is capable of 5 gpm and the tractor specs say 4.8 out of that port so I think that is all reasonable...

I don't see any upside in changing to larger hoses when the limiting factor is the 1/4 in ports. What I'm just trying to do now is make sure the QCs don't reduce the little flow I have....

Regards,
    Chris

Silver Member
    Tractor
    (2) IH284Diesels,GE-E8m,GE-E14 Elec-Trac's

I agree, and the 3/8" should flow all that the 1/4" ports can supply.
    "We, the Unwilling, Led by the Unknowing, set off to accomplish the impossible...the difficult...we do immediatly....the impossible just takes a little longer"