Another possible hydraulic issue

/ Another possible hydraulic issue #1  

babzog

Tractor
MF 1533
Hey folks,

So after my tractor (MF 1533) got a new power steering return hose, all seemed well. I noticed though, that the hydraulic fluid level always seemed to be dropping (no apparent leaks, tractor was level when I checked). I add more, then the next day I use it, it's down again. Add a bit more. I'm just trying to keep the fluid level in the little sight window at the halfway point.

Anyway, yesterday, I noticed that the fluid in the window looked milky, with possibly a few tiny bubbles at the bottom. I don't think it's water (though anything's possible) as the ruptured line was underneath the tractor and I've never poured water into the fill tube... which is normally sealed off with a good fitting rubber stopper.

This AM, I noticed that the fluid in the window is nice and clear again, all milkiness is gone.

I'm wondering: Is this water or have I overfilled it and the fluid is getting aerated during use?

Why would the fluid level keep dropping in that sight window? What's the appropriate level of fluid - halfway up the sight window?

/ Another possible hydraulic issue #2  
It just might depend on if certain things are activated. If you raise the 3pt, that cyl is full of fluid. The base side of a cyl will hold more fluid that the rod side.

So if all the cyl are down, that is the time to check the fluid. Check when warn also.

If you still losing fluid and can see no leaks, then check the crankcase.

If you want to see what milky fluid looks like, put 1 oz of water in a clear jar, and add 10 oz of oil or hyd fluid, and shake it real good. That is with detergent fluid. If the fluid is non-detergent, the water will settle to the bottom.

/ Another possible hydraulic issue #3  
Torin has AIDS; said:
maybe its because ur asian

Just curious about your log in name.

/ Another possible hydraulic issue #4  
   / Another possible hydraulic issue
It just might depend on if certain things are activated. If you raise the 3pt, that cyl is full of fluid. The base side of a cyl will hold more fluid that the rod side.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "base side" and "rod side".

So if all the cyl are down, that is the time to check the fluid. Check when warn also.

Okay, I will check with the 3pth down and FEL down. What should the correct fill level be - halfway up the sight glass, sight glass just full?

If you still losing fluid and can see no leaks, then check the crankcase.

If you want to see what milky fluid looks like, put 1 oz of water in a clear jar, and add 10 oz of oil or hyd fluid, and shake it real good. That is with detergent fluid. If the fluid is non-detergent, the water will settle to the bottom.

I will try that sometime. :) So, you figure it's just aerated fluid?

/ Another possible hydraulic issue #6  
Probably aeration, because if you have water in fluid and it gets mixed well/emulsify, it will stay milky. As I said above, if you have a non-detergent fluid, that is a good thing as the water will settle to the bottom where it is easy to remove.

The base end of almost any cyl will have more fluid. The rod takes up space on the other end of the cyl, and there is less displacement.

Things that can cause aeration are cavitation, any small orifices, suction leak, etc.

/ Another possible hydraulic issue #7  
About the sight window, my Kubota doesn't have one, so I just use the dip stick .

The window might be only used to verify that there is fluid in the tank.

Check your manual for that info.

/ Another possible hydraulic issue #8  
I guess they pulled his post.

/ Another possible hydraulic issue
About the sight window, my Kubota doesn't have one, so I just use the dip stick .

The window might be only used to verify that there is fluid in the tank.

Check your manual for that info.

I don't have a dipstick, just a fill tube and the sight window. I did check the manual first, but it doesn't say anything about checking the correct fluid level... just mentions the capacity being 8 point something gallons.