Rear remote for Massey Ferguson 1533

/ Rear remote for Massey Ferguson 1533 #1  

babzog

Tractor
MF 1533
Is it possible to add a set of remotes to this tractor without going the dealer route (nearly $2000)? Would like to add two remotes to the rear and (wishlist) one to the FEL for future use.

/ Rear remote for Massey Ferguson 1533 #2  
Do you have PB port on your FEL valve?

/ Rear remote for Massey Ferguson 1533
I'm not even sure what to look for. I don't think there are any other ports on the valve but it's in a tight spot. The dealer said something to the effect of the rear valve being a "sandwich" valve or something like that. Hooks right up to the trans case. There do appear to be a couple of ports on the case below the FEL valve that could be the hookup points. No markings I can see. Took some pics.

Looking back from under the right step.
image-2615394843.png

Underneath.
image-607382132.png

The two ports I mentioned earlier. There also appear to be a couple extra plugged ports or mounting points.
image-1455559111.png

Other shots showing more of the same from other angles.
image-2849598419.png image-374642444.png

Last edited:
   / Rear remote for Massey Ferguson 1533 #4  
So, if I understand you, you only have hyd for the 3pt. Can you follow the pump pressure line to the back?

Do you have a manual for your tractor, it should show all the connections.

You mention FEL valve but I don't see it in the pictures.

Last edited:
The valve in the pic is the joystick control for the FEL. That and the 3pt lift arms (everything internal except the control lever) are the only hydraulics on the tractor. The owners manual discusses the rear remotes and FEL joystick operation but no technical details.

Pic 2 and 3 could be spliced together.

Last edited:
   / Rear remote for Massey Ferguson 1533 #6  
Take the sandwich term for what it is, the rear remotes get stacked together. Go to the AGCO partsbooks site, and look up your tractor. Really a simple idea.

Cant run the rears off the loader stick, that I know of.

/ Rear remote for Massey Ferguson 1533 #7  
The valve in the pic is the joystick control for the FEL. That and the 3pt lift arms (everything internal except the control lever) are the only hydraulics on the tractor. The owners manual discusses the rear remotes and FEL joystick operation but no technical details.

Pic 2 and 3 could be spliced together.

Typically the PB runs from the loader valve to feed the 3 point hitch, so the hydraulic line going to the 3 point from the loader will go to a PB port on the loader valve. That's the way my Kubota is plumbed anyway.

If you choose to add rear remotes and don't want to use MF kits, you'll need to piece together the parts separately. It's definitely do-able, and probably cheaper, but not as easy. I did it with my Kubota since no kits were available for that particular model.

Sean

Take the sandwich term for what it is, the rear remotes get stacked together. Go to the AGCO partsbooks site, and look up your tractor. Really a simple idea.

Cant run the rears off the loader stick, that I know of.

I did look that up... it was several months ago that I talked to the dealer but looking at the drawing, it all makes sense now. I don't want to use the MF kit though - at nearly $2000, I figure I can save a bundle and learn something too. Don't care that it might not look as pretty... function over form, here.

Typically the PB runs from the loader valve to feed the 3 point hitch, so the hydraulic line going to the 3 point from the loader will go to a PB port on the loader valve. That's the way my Kubota is plumbed anyway.

So, I see nothing going from the FEL valve to the 3pt ... just a lever from the seat area that disappears into the case. It would appear that it's all internal.

The parts book also suggests that my initial thought of the two mystery "ports" in the pics above are what I'd use (they might be useable for this purpose, I have no idea) is incorrect. The MF kit mounts up near the top of the case and bolts onto the side of same. The control sticks would then easily poke through to the seating area. Looking at it this AM, there appears to be a little "bellied-out" cover bolted onto the place where the valve would sit. I'm guessing that cover is some sort of bypass. I'm wondering what is underneath that cover (asking the question before I try to unbolt it and see). If it's just a supply port and return port that are connected together via that cover, then I wonder if it would be possible to install connectors and hoses into those ports (ie: would those ports be threaded for a standard connector or would they be smooth and just allow fluid to flow to/from the valve?)

I admit I know practically nothing about hydraulics, but I'm interested in learning as I've got more than just this in mind for the future.

/ Rear remote for Massey Ferguson 1533 #9  
Babzog, I know you are familiar with the Massey-Ferguson Owning/Operating forum from your hydraulic bleeding problem you posted there. There is also a good thread about PB on the 1533 and adding remotes. Sometimes looking at the factory remotes can be a big help in deciding how to build your own. The last post in the linked thread has an illustration of the MF remotes for your tractor in addition to some great info about PB in other posts in this thread.

PB on a MF1533

Hi jinman,

Thanks for that link! I went out and had another look at the tractor. I see now where the hardline is for the 3pt hydraulics. With a wheel and cover in the way, it's really hard to see. Knowing where to look helped. :thumbsup:

Okay, so I'd remove that line, install a hose on the fitting on the FEL valve and run that to a new valve for my remotes. PB from the new valve back to the 3pt connection I previously disconnected. The only part I'm missing now, is where the return goes... where's that plug located?

Regarding the valve... is there anything I should be looking for in a new valve? One thing I might want to do is run a log splitter, so I think I'd need at least one to have a locking position? As well, I'm not sure I fully understand what "open center" means... my guess is that it allows the fluid to flow through the valve when not being used and it would allow whatever is attached to remain in the set position (forgive my newbie interpretation). Is there a difference between an open center and PB on the valve if both allow fluid to flow when not in use?