long 460

/ long 460 #1  

marc barlow

Tractor
long 460
Just signed up as new member hope somone can help!
i bought a Long 460 last week, the 3 pint hitch seemed to work OK ,but was very slow on lift. Hooked to 6 ft rotary cutter,put quadrant in lift position, arms lifted about 4'' at which point hydraulics started to make a squealing sound ,and would not lift the cutter any higher. Unhooked cutter, tried the lift again, it very slowly lifted ,with a jumpy movment.
Today cleaned st st filter, drained fluid, which was a yellow color and very milky. Prior to draining fluid, I cleaned out check valve and rotated the small speed adjustment control counter clockwise as far as it will go .Then removed the bolt ,removed lever, and turned the speed adjustment shaft with a scewdriver one full turn before replacing lever and bolt.
i was advised to carry out this proceedure by a friend who had a similar issue .I have not as yet replaced the fluid, will do that tomorrow. I am not sure how to remove any air from the system , is this necessary? or do ifill up and see what happens.
look forward to any sugestions,Thanks.

/ long 460 #2  
Hi Mark:

I am looking at a Long 460 and have been researching to learn if there is adequate support for this tractor in my area and whether parts are readily available as well. If you have any information on the Parent Company that is supporting these tractors and do they continue to make this same tractor under a different name? I would be appreciative of any information you may have that will shed some light on this question. Best Regards

Sincerely..........Walt Barlow

/ long 460
Hi Walt,
I have 2 long 460 tractors. I get my parts from ROMTRAC ,Mattewes N C.
They are nice people to deal with ,and very helpful phone 704-821-5035
email romtracinc@carolina.rr.com Hope this helps,
regards,
Marc

/ long 460 #4  
Thanks Marc:

I will contact the above mentioned supplier and look forward to their communication. It sounds as if you do your own service and wonder if there are services available to you that could be relied upon to repair your Long 460 in case you run into a problem that is beyond your scope of expertise? I have check here in my area and all the various service repair centers claimed they have never heard of the Long tractor line. One repair shop said that if I could obtain a service repair manual that they would work on the Long 460 since they would be able to torque the bolts to proper torque but without the service manual they would not attempt any repairs.
I will be contacting a repair shop tomorrow to learn if they have serviced the Long tractor in the past and are there other Long tractors in the Michigan area that they have worked on lately.
I appreciate your kind response and will keep in contact on future developments. Best Regards

Sincerely.................Walt

/ long 460 #5  
Hi I am a new member and I have a 460 long tractor, the 3point hitch started working slow i checked the fluid but am confused does the 3point hitch work off the transmission or the differancial, i cleaned the filter and it worked great for a while the stoped again.