Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits

/ Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits #1  

bigsnowdog

Tractor
Deere 5500 Kubota L245DT, Ferris 3100
I have a John Deere 5500 fitted with a John Deere 540 loader. It has enough hydraulics to run the loader, with mid-mount fittings.

I would like to add capability to the tractor so I could have a grapple on the loader and also have circuits to the rear if I have something mounted back there with hydraulics. One item I already have is a grain wagon with a dump cylinder, and I would like to be able to run a double acting cylinder back there if I need to.

What is the best way to do that? Buy parts from the dealer, or buy them used, or..... what are your thoughts?

Thank you.

/ Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits #2  
If you have lots of money and love spending it, the dealers will sell you a kit, and I have heard of some outrageous prices.

You can outline the parts you need and shop for them locally or over the Internet.

Places like Discount Hose, Surplus Hydraulics , Northern Tools, TSC, etc

I think I would stay away from used unless you know something about the use of the parts.

Do it your self and save about half to three quarters of dealer prices.

Do a search for people building their own add on hyd system and accessories.

/ Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits #3  
I have a John Deere 5500 fitted with a John Deere 540 loader. It has enough hydraulics to run the loader, with mid-mount fittings.

I would like to add capability to the tractor so I could have a grapple on the loader and also have circuits to the rear if I have something mounted back there with hydraulics. One item I already have is a grain wagon with a dump cylinder, and I would like to be able to run a double acting cylinder back there if I need to.

What is the best way to do that? Buy parts from the dealer, or buy them used, or..... what are your thoughts?

Thank you.

I've seen some pretty exotic 3rd,4th,and 5th extra valve set ups. can't really help with those, but for the rear I have a 3rd scv kit from the dealer. it utilizes an existing extra valve on the loader valve assembly. basically just need the hard lines to the rear and a lever, I have a DA cylinder for my top link (HTL)

You can call the dealer and find out if that option is available for your machine. If not you will need one of the many diverters that are out there.
Like I said some are pretty simple and some I've seen are very involved.

But you have alot of experienced folks here that will be able to help you better than me.

I don't think you will find what you need used, the hardest part of modding hydraulics is just figuring out what exactly you need. putting it together will be the easy part.

JB

/ Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits #4  
If you have lots of money and love spending it, the dealers will sell you a kit, and I have heard of some outrageous prices.

You can outline the parts you need and shop for them locally or over the Internet.

Places like Discount Hose, Surplus Hydraulics , Northern Tools, TSC, etc

I think I would stay away from used unless you know something about the use of the parts.

Do it your self and save about half to three quarters of dealer prices.

Do a search for people building their own add on hyd system and accessories.

Yeah, but JJ that's the hardest part, where does he start.

I know you are one of the hydraulic gurus here, where do you begin with that?

I had enough trouble just specing my HTL :ashamed: Like I mentioned putting it all together was easy, even the 3rd SCV, once I had all the pieces of the puzzle.

JB

/ Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits #5  
Once you find where you can get the pressure to the next valve, and still have protection for the other hyd components, and match up the flow capacities, lay it out on paper what you are trying to do. and ask plenty of questions.

If you are working with valves that have PB, you just connect them in series so a complete hyd flow path is setup.

As far as putting a 4 spool valve at the back, a supply hose is needed and the PB from the new valve goes to the 3pt. and the OUT port goes to tank.

The mechanical part varies with every tractor, as to where can one can fit this valve.

I don't know of anyone that has been left hanging about hooking up add on items.

There is plenty of resources on TBN.

Last edited:
   / Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits
Once you find where you can get the pressure to the next valve, and still have protection for the other hyd components, and match up the flow capacities, lay it out on paper what you are trying to do. and ask plenty of questions.

If you are working with valves that have PB, you just conect them in series so a complete hyd flow path is setup.

As far as putting a 4 spool valve at the back, a supply hose is needed and the PB from the new valve goes to the 3pt. and the OUT port goes to tank.

The mechanical part varies with every tractor, as to where can one can fit this valve.

I don't know of anyone that has been left hanging about hooking up add on items.

There is plenty of resources on TBN.

What is the meaning of PB?

/ Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits #7  
PB stands for Power Beyond. This port is necessary to let valves downstream operate at high pressure.

Open center hyd system valves should all be in series from pump to tank with as many valves in the middle as you need. The PB from one valve will connect to the IN port of the next valve, and so.

/ Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits #8  
I think it is a mistake to automatically assume the OEM remote hydraulics are too expensive. Before making a decision on how to go, I would at least talk to my dealer and get firm prices for the add-ons I wanted. With that, you have something to balance against the factory valves as far as price, location, convenience, and value of the tractor going forward. Yes, you can save money if you design and build your own system; however, you may not save time or frustration and the final product might not be as "elegant" as the manufacturer's setup. If you go with the OEM setup, you also will have full parts support for every piece of the system including levers and hardware. They also will service the system at the dealer if you need it. All of this may not be important to you or it might be very important depending on your skill level. It's worth checking out before the take the self-design plunge in my opinion.

/ Question regarding the addition of hydraulic circuits #9  
Of course, check with the dealer, and get an estimate. . Then use a list and round up all the part numbers for valve, hoses and fittings. The price will be way less, and then you have your time which is valuable. Plus, if you do it your self, you should learn more about your tractor and hydraulics in general.

If the dealer is doing the job, make sure the addition will do what you want it to do.

You can install a 4 spool valve that will do T-N-T, one spool could have detent for say a log splitter, and even a spool with float, or a motor spool, etc. Whatever you can design. Just think of all the possible uses the valve will serve, and make your decision.