Third Function

/ Third Function #1  

doc592

Tractor
john deere 4600
I have a John Deere 4600 Tractor with the 460 Loader. I need a third set of hydraulics for a grapple bucket. Any suggestions on how to accomplish this.

/ Third Function #2  
The specs say that your tractor has open center hys and 9.9 GPM's and 2500 psi.

TractorData.com John Deere 4600 tractor information

Some will say to get the factory kit, but if you are somewhat hyd savvy, you can collect all the parts and do it your self.

First, determine if your FEL valve has PB outlet. Then look at the different hyd soursec and round up all the parts. Here is a likely valve to use .

Flow path should be something like this. Pump, FEL valve PB OUT, to IN of new valve, and PB OUT of new valve to 3pt. Three sets of QD's and you are ready to plug and play.

Surplus Center - 2 SPOOL 14 GPM PRINCE WVS21BB5C1 DA VALVE

Surplus Center - 3 SPOOL 14 GPM PRINCE WVS31BBB5C1 DA VALVE

For grapple work, run a set of hoses to the front.

Should you want to use the curl circuit for the grapple, then a selector valve like this would work.

Solenoid valves , switch on joystick handle.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-5117-A&catname=hydraulic

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Instruct/I9-5117-A.pdf

/ Third Function
Thank you for your response. Regrettably, I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to hydraulics. I know how to take my loader on and off the tractor and hook up or plug in hose couplers on the back of the tractor and that is about it.
I have talked with my JD dealership about a kit that would add the third function and they tell me that there is not one and that I will probably have to run the hoses to the back of my tractor to get hydraulics for the grapple.
Looking at the doubling selector valve that you sent me the image of, I assume that the back of the block has two inputs and that the block (pictured) doubles to four. If this is correct, where exactly do I hook this up?
My tractor has four hookups on the right side of the tractor at the midpoint where my loader hoses hook to and two on the back.
My preference would be to be able to run the grapple off of the original joy stick that controls the loader.

/ Third Function #4  
Then the solenoid selector valve would be the way to go. using the curl function.

/ Third Function
Where does this selector valve mount?

/ Third Function #6  
Some place convenient. Maybe attached close to the joystick valve.

/ Third Function #7  
I'd suggest you check and see if the 3rd SCV kit and loader function kit are still available from Deere. You'll have to go through sales for these as they are whole goods. If they don't have them in stock, make sure the salesman uses his computer to search other dealer's stock nationwide. Otherwise check eBay.

You already have the third spool as it's built into the loader's SCV valve body.

For someone who isn't savvy with hydraulics, this is a quick and easy way to do it, and if the kits are still available, they aren't a horrendous expense. If you don't know what you're doing, home-brewing a setup could get pricey.

/ Third Function #8  
You mentioned something about connecting hoses at the back.

Do you have a remote valve for that? If so, that valve could be used for your grapple.

A plain and simple addition can be done by anyone above average intelligence. Just follow the description in the link below.

Last edited:
   / Third Function #9  

About $150, plus hoses and switch and fittings.

Mount your solenoid valve first and measure for hoses.

Connect your extend hose valve to VE on solenoid valve.

connect your retract hose from valve to VR on solenoid valve.

E = extend
R = retract

1 = curl cyl
2 = grapple cyl

connect your curl cyl hose to 1E, 1R

connect your grapple hose to 2E, 2R

Put a seitch on your joy stick to shift the circuit.

With no 12V, the joystick works the curl cyl.

With 12V applied to the solenoid, the grapple circuit is in operation.

/ Third Function
J.J.

I saw in one of your other post, you were talking about this same valve system and you told this person that he could but a new joy stick handle with a switch in it or just make one. I have not been able to find one to buy. do you have a source.