Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine?

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #1  

chad22

Veteran Member
Tractor
Sears Garden Tractor
Hi. I was wondering if anyone knew the max rpms of a Briggs Twin Opposed engine 17 hp? I ask because I don't seem to be getting full pressure from my pump on my backhoe. I never really did from the start. It takes a little bit to break through the ground.

And also I have to bring the stick in all the way for the boom to lift a load of dirt. It does that even when empty.

I've adjusted my pressure relief valve and at least got the boom to raise up.

I don't have the money at the moment for a pressure gauge otherwise I would put one on it to see the pressure. I know the pump is pumping pretty good because I let it flow back into the tank.

I was wondering if my pump could be weak. I put a kit in it but maybe I didn't get it rebuilt right?

Or maybe this pump doesn't put out enough pressure. And I need a different pump. It has me upset because I spent $75.00 on the rebuild kit. Never again. I'll just buy another pump.

I have the engine at full throttle and it wants to try to break through the ground. But still takes a little effort.

Maybe the pump needs more rpms I don't know. So that's why I ask if anyone knows what the rpms of the Briggs 17 hp twin opposed engine is. I'd be grateful. Or even an idea of the rpms.

Thanks

Chad

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #2  
3600 rpm with a few exceptions

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #3  
Chad,

Rpm affects the speed of operation, and pressure affects the force.

Did you build the BH?

Is the cyl mounting point and mechanical leverage correct?

Can you show pictures of your set up.

Are you using a single stage pump or a two stage pump?

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #4  
   / Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #5  
The rpm is 3600 at rated HP.

A hyd pressure gage is only $10 to $15.

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine?
Thanks

I don't know if this will help. But here's a video of the backhoe. Redo of my home made backhoe - YouTube

The pump I have on the backhoe is similar to the one in this link Haldex High Pressure Hydraulic Gear Pump .258 Cu. In., Model# 1002966 | Pumps | Northern Tool + Equipment

But I bought it on ebay used awhile back and forgot what the pressure of it was.

I'm hoping too pick up a pressure gauge by the 1st of the month.

The engine in the video is the one that seized up on me. lol I had put the twin engine on it but had to take it off because I thought I needed a carb rebuild kit. So I had to put that single cylinder engine on it.

When the engine seized I put the twin engine on it and remembered I had me some wall paper paste remover that's supposed to remove residue. I poured about half of that bottle straight into the gas. Thinking heck I might as well give it a shot, can't do no more than not run. Fired it up and it ran like a new carb.:thumbsup:

The backhoe dug all that dirt up in the video. But it was a bit slow trying to get the boom to raise and also trying to get it to break through the dirt.

Once again I have to bring the stick in almost all the way to even attempt to lift the bucket whether empty or full of dirt.

I'm down with the flu right now and am feeling awful otherwise I would take a video of it doing as I describe. (Struggling to lift the boom and struggling to break ground)

Once again. Thanks

Chad

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #7  
3600 rpm is the maximum rpm I've always found on B&S engines. As a matter of fact, I own a Sirometer. It's a vibrating reed tachometer that can be used on any engine or rotating machinery to measure the rpm. You can adjust it to a set rpm and then bring the engine up until the reed starts to vibrate or you can set the engine and then adjust the tach until it starts to vibrate and then read the rpm. They are amazing devices and the essence of simplicity since they work on harmonics.

B&S Vibrating Reed Tachometer (Sirometer)

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #8  
interesting device for sure.:thumbsup:

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #9  
A lot of military gear has those meters to set the frequency and voltage.

The 400 cps from the APU, [ auxiliary power unit ] to the aircraft had to be just right.

/ Anyone know the max rpms of a 17 hp Briggs Opposed Twin engine? #10  
It won't take much over 3600 rpm and one of the connecting rods will give up the fight? The better engine have ball-bearings, not all briggs engine have them.The best engines they made were the Indust/commercial type.