Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Default which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    I am looking on SurplusCenter.com for a tierod cylinder. What sizes should I be concerned with if i am wanting to split logs from 8-24 inches in dia.?

  2. #2
    Super Star Member J_J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16,652
    Location
    JACKSONVILLE, FL
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    How large of engine are you planning to use, and the pump size?

    A 4 in cyl, 2 in shaft will put you in the 15 T at 2500 psi
    -----------------------------------------------19 T at 3000 psi
    J.J.

    When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

    Git er done.

  3. #3
    Elite Member wdchyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,684
    Location
    Hooksett, NH
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    Quote Originally Posted by J_J View Post

    A 4 in cyl, 2 in shaft will put you in the 15 T at 2500 psi
    -----------------------------------------------19 T at 3000 psi
    That's the most common size I see.......3.5" bore min to 5.0" bore max (unless you have a rather large engine/pump)

    4.0" bore is best average for all-around usage
    2010 Kubota B2320 FEL & BH65
    If it ain't fixed don't broke it!

    http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...-month-wdchyd/

  4. #4
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86
    Location
    Albany Kentucky
    Tractor
    massey ferguson 165

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    Quote Originally Posted by wdchyd View Post
    That's the most common size I see.......3.5" bore min to 5.0" bore max (unless you have a rather large engine/pump)

    4.0" bore is best average for all-around usage
    Will need to consider GPM also. A 5" bore 24" stroke at less than 20 GPM will make for a long cycle time. I added a 22 GPM and I am hitting low 10's for cycle time with a 5" bore 2" shaft 24" stroke and at 3000psi around 30tons. This thing looks are a twisted piece of Hickory and smiles and says "REALLY". LOL SNAP CRACKLE SPLIT
    Somebody is always trying to ice skate up hill

  5. #5
    Super Star Member J_J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16,652
    Location
    JACKSONVILLE, FL
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    What is the GPM on your tractor?

    Here is a 4 in bore, 2 n shaft, 24 in stroke, with a pressure rating of 2500 psi.

    Surplus Center - 4X24X2 DA HYD CYL W400240

    Welded cyl will take more pressure at around 3000 psi.
    J.J.

    When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

    Git er done.

  6. #6
    Super Star Member J_J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    16,652
    Location
    JACKSONVILLE, FL
    Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    Quote Originally Posted by 165masseyky;
    Will need to consider GPM also. A 5" bore 24" stroke at less than 20 GPM will make for a long cycle time. I added a 22 GPM and I am hitting low 10's for cycle time with a 5" bore 2" shaft 24" stroke and at 3000psi around 30tons. This thing looks are a twisted piece of Hickory and smiles and says "REALLY". LOL SNAP CRACKLE SPLIT
    You should be in the 5.58 sec extend, and 4.7 sec with 22 GPM's, 5 in cyl 2 in shaft, if you stay in the fast mode. .
    J.J.

    When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

    Git er done.

  7. #7

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    Thanks J J

    I was wondering about if welded rod is better....or not.

  8. #8
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86
    Location
    Albany Kentucky
    Tractor
    massey ferguson 165

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    Quote Originally Posted by J_J View Post
    You should be in the 5.58 sec extend, and 4.7 sec with 22 GPM's, 5 in cyl 2 in shaft, if you stay in the fast mode. .
    Thats what I am getting now with the gas powered pump and engine total cycle when we tested the cylinder to full extend and full retract was 10.25
    Somebody is always trying to ice skate up hill

  9. #9
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    86
    Location
    Albany Kentucky
    Tractor
    massey ferguson 165

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    Quote Originally Posted by joulian View Post
    Thanks J J

    I was wondering about if welded rod is better....or not.
    Before starting this splitter thing I was more of a fab. guy and to tell you the truth if done properly wire welding is just as strong...BUT...Read the previous sentence because wire welding encompasses alot more set up than stick. Wire speed. amp, wire size ,rating, and flux or gas just to name a few. If you are a decent stick welder I would do everything in 7018 3/32 to 1/8 bevel the piece any where possible and straight bead in then weave and remember the most important stick welder four steps...weld....deflux....brush...repeat. Oh and the ABC's of welding

    Always
    Be
    Comfortable
    Somebody is always trying to ice skate up hill

  10. #10
    Elite Member wdchyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,684
    Location
    Hooksett, NH
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

    Default Re: which Hydraulic cylinder do i need for a log splitter

    Quote Originally Posted by 165masseyky View Post
    Before starting this splitter thing I was more of a fab. guy and to tell you the truth if done properly wire welding is just as strong...BUT...Read the previous sentence because wire welding encompasses alot more set up than stick. Wire speed. amp, wire size ,rating, and flux or gas just to name a few. If you are a decent stick welder I would do everything in 7018 3/32 to 1/8 bevel the piece any where possible and straight bead in then weave and remember the most important stick welder four steps...weld....deflux....brush...repeat. Oh and the ABC's of welding

    Always
    Be
    Comfortable
    165Massey, I think he meant to say " If welded cylinder is better ....or not".......
    2010 Kubota B2320 FEL & BH65
    If it ain't fixed don't broke it!

    http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...-month-wdchyd/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Buying Advice CT450 3-point mount hydraulic log splitter work well?
    By yspm in forum Bobcat Tractors
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2010, 09:31 PM
  2. Hydraulic Stone Splitter
    By Greg9504 in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 04:45 PM
  3. Brave 24 ton log splitter with a leaking cylinder
    By Dongerosa in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM
  4. Log Splitter Hydraulic Cylinder Repair
    By Zinno87 in forum Parts/Repairs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-16-2007, 09:31 PM
  5. Hydraulic Question
    By butzkeg in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2001, 07:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.