2 questions

/ 2 questions #11  
#1: Single rod cylinders will have more force extending than retracting.

#2: Depends on how the cylinder the cylinder is mounted and where you install the needle valve.

2a) cylinder mounted rod end up end extends to lift the load a needle valve in the cap end would control speed in both directions.

2b) Cylinder mounted rod down with load hanging on the rod and needle valve installed in the cap end. Load would freefall down and have controlled speed on retract.

NOTE: Use caution when installing needle in the rod end due to pressure intensification across a cylinder.

Roy

So you are saying that the needle valve would do nothing in this situation? Why? The fluid still has to go through the needle valve, it does not by-pass the valve. Yes it will go faster because of gravity, but to act as though there is no valve at all? :confused:

I have no flow restriction valve on my grapple and the grapple basically moves at the same rate in both directions. It has 1/4" lines and the grapple is very manageable. On my smaller tractor I have needle valves on my "TnT" cylinders. My box blade is about 700lbs, the tilt cylinder does not "free fall" when I lower the tilt hydraulic. I have the valve set so that the movement is controlled.

/ 2 questions #12  
A needle valve is a flow restrictor.

It doesn't matter which end of the cylinder it is on.

The only way a cylinder could freely extend would be with a motor spool valve.

/ 2 questions #13  
A needle valve is a flow restrictor.

It doesn't matter which end of the cylinder it is on.

The only way a cylinder could freely extend would be with a motor spool valve.

Yes and no. There is more fluid at the cap end of the hydraulic to go through that little passage than on the rod end. So doesn't having the restrictor on the cap end actually control the hydraulic better? But yes I agree that it does control the fluid no matter which port it is located at. ;)

/ 2 questions #14  
Called different names for the valves...

/ 2 questions
the valve I have is a parker N600s, the grapple I'm building is not a bucket grapple but a log skidder "clam" type. There would be very little gravity involved other than whe clam is wide open. I will try to post some pics, but only have access to internet at work so that makes it difficult. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not going to make a difference which end of cylinder its on.
Thanks.

/ 2 questions #16  
the valve I have is a parker N600s, the grapple I'm building is not a bucket grapple but a log skidder "clam" type. There would be very little gravity involved other than whe clam is wide open. I will try to post some pics, but only have access to internet at work so that makes it difficult. I'm coming to the conclusion that it's not going to make a difference which end of cylinder its on.
Thanks.

Because you are using a needle valve, it probably won't make a difference, but if you find that you can't quite get it how you want it, then if you have it on the rod end, move it to the capped end or just install it on the capped end to start with and that will be all the better that you can get it. ;)

/ 2 questions #17  
the valve I have is a parker N600s...
That's the needle valve I used... I would not mount it near the grapple or cylinder, just something else to be poked / broke with a branch. My signature has a link to my setup and the needle valve is very close to the spool... Is there a reason to put it on the cylinder (or did I miss something :confused:)

/ 2 questions
That's the needle valve I used... I would not mount it near the grapple or cylinder, just something else to be poked / broke with a branch. My signature has a link to my setup and the needle valve is very close to the spool... Is there a reason to put it on the cylinder (or did I miss something :confused:)

I do plan on putting it on the tractor end of the hose, didn't clarify that in the initial post. Don't think it would effect the results would it? (as far as what end of the hose its on)