Purging milky oil from system

/ Purging milky oil from system #21  
I changed out my plow lift cylinder rod last week and found some moisture when draining the hydraulic out. I only have 60 hours on my MF1635.

So suspect my moisture came in the breather tube, my tractor only sat outisde a few week this year. I will add a desicante air breather when i change over to amsoil in a few weeks to reduce the moisture drawn in when the transmission is heated and then cooling from everyday use or even operating the 3 point lift would change the volumn when used too.

Velcon Filters do make cartridges to remove water from oil and fuel that work very effectively they even make filters to remove carbon from oil.

Desicante filetrs are used on almost every large electric transformer you see to keep moisture out because they are cooled by oil and radiators too.

/ Purging milky oil from system #22  
yep.. SA cyl's with breathers, and vented sumps in 'open' systems allow moisture in.

I have seen a few closed sump systems with built in air expansiona nd burp valves that will allow excess vapor or fluid to escape a pinch valve, but not allow outside air to be introduced on a regular basis.

soudnguy

/ Purging milky oil from system #23  
   / Purging milky oil from system #24  
Well, consider this, the Soviet Air Force used alcohol as the hyd's for the MIG-25's aircraft brakes, had trouble keep enough supply as a lot of the maintenance people were often seen staggering around the base.

The MIG-25 fighter-bomber which needed 14 tons of jet fuel and a half ton of alcohol for its braking systems, was for this reasons known in the Soviet air force as the flying restaurant.

Fighter aircraft up to the MiG-29 and Su-27 had a braking system that used 99% pure grain alcohol as hydraulic fluid. .

The ground crews would steal the stockpiles of alcohol - imagine that - and that often the planes were grounded

I believe it. I worked in Russia in many occasions. They would drink anything with alcohol in it such as aftershave, colon etc. They rate booze by "punching power/ruble". The stronger and cheaper the better. The "industrial" alcohol was somewhere between 92 and 96%.
When I was in military we also had alcohol for cleaning but with gasoline added so it was not drinkable. Guys used to filter the gasoline out of it passing it through gas mask filter.

/ Purging milky oil from system #25  
I think the cost to recover emulsified fluid would be greater than it is worth. Acids have already formed.

Although you could cook the fluid until the water vaporizes, the water in the emulsified fluid has already made some new compounds, and I don't believe it would be worth it to cook any where from 3 to about 10 gal of fluid.

They make fluid recovery sys, but they are expensive and are usually used on large hyd system, 100 gal +.

A fluid analysis would tell you about the quality of the fluid, and recommend things to do.

Depends on how long the water was in there. The OP stated he just refilled it and was prepared to do it again with new fluid.
I think heating the oil with water in it would be far cheaper than to keep replacing the fluid until it is clear.
Heat, rinse, repeat until clear, then chuck the oil....
I'd certainly try it before I chucked the 4 gallons of new oil!

/ Purging milky oil from system
Like the idea of heating/separating the oil/water

With 2 oil changes I have at least 15 gals ''spoiled''. As JJ mentioned there will be some residual oil left in the system even if I drain it all down again. I will reuse the heated oil to give the system a more thorough cleansing ( I also have a hyd. marine Pullmaster winch hooked into this system...).

Then once I git er all flushed, I will replace the oil with new stuff.

thanks fellas,

Wilson

/ Purging milky oil from system #27  
Just a little reading material for those wanting to remove water from hyd fluid.

You can do it, but at a regulated temp, but for $39.00 for 5 gal of hyd oil, you have to ask your self if it is worth it to drain your fluid and cook it , and how long to cook.

Options for Removing Water in Oil

/ Purging milky oil from system #28  
even cheaper.. tractor supply generally has runs of cheap utf oil, which is better than plain hyd oil many tyimes, for 20-25$

hard to recoup money on cleaning old oil when new oil is 20$ for 5g

soundguy

/ Purging milky oil from system
I'm paying 45-50$ for a 20 liter bucket( 4.5 gal) Walmart.

Did a real idiotic move this afternoon.... In a rush to use my winch I disconnected the quick connect, ( with the motor running, seized everything up in short order. after reconnecting there was oil pouring out of the bottom of my pump A single stage VICKERS vane model.

I removed it and found that it had opened slightly between the vane section and the end of the unit and an oil seal was sticking out thru..

I feared for the worse, loosened the 4 bolts, removed the end of the pump eyed everything up, stuck the o-ring back where it belonged and ''bobs your Uncle''. I had forseen that this stupid mistake might occur, ( I have the quick connect directly on the pump), I will look at how I can ensure this does NOT happen again.

In the meantime.. I boiled up a test sample of oil on the stove, ( while my wife was at work...) it reached at temp. of 175 degrees, was beginning to stir in the pot, white bubbles etc. I shut her down at that point, no separation, will try a higher temp ( 250 as suggested- in my shop.)

/ Purging milky oil from system #30  
yep.. qd's at a pump are a way to blow things apart. if you like haveing a qd at the pump, put a relief inbetween them at least with a blow line aiming down.

walmart has expensive cheap oil, as cheap oil goes. tractor supply is the place with the cheap, cheap oil. :)

I wager you will spend more $$ in electricity or heating costs to TRY to recover some 'used' oil, than buying new, clean oil...

soundguy