Sea Foam in hydraulic sys

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys #1  

J_J

Super Star Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST
Has anyone used this product successfully. Do you know if it removed any water. Would you say it would remove a pint of water that had not been emulsified or had been emulsified.

As you know, non-detergent fluid will let the water settle to the bottom, but detergent fluid will mix the water and combine things , perhaps generate another compound.

You also know that heat and time might work, but how much heat and time?

This is what the company says. It says to drain water in system. I thought the purpose of Sea Foam was to somehow bind the water to the product and somehow vent the resulting vapor through a vented hyd system.

Controlling Moisture in Hydraulic Fluid
To control moisture buildup in hydraulic fluid, add 1 pint Trans Tuneョ to every four gallons of fluid at full operating temperature. After at least 30 minutes of operation, check the hydraulic fluid for color and clarity. The addition of a high detergent oil like Trans Tuneョ may cause the hydraulic fluid to become dirty sooner than normal as it cleans built-up contamination. When the fluid is dirty, change it.

Flushing the Hydraulic System
To flush a hydraulic system, add 1 pint Trans Tuneョ to every four gallons of hydraulic fluid to re-liquefy old hydraulic oil residue deposits and suspend contaminants in the fluid. Allow at least 30 minutes of operating time at full operating temperature before changing the hydraulic fluid to allow Trans Tuneョ to clean. Trans Tuneョ can also be added to the fresh hydraulic fluid as a preventative maintenance additive to prevent future residue and moisture buildup.

De-Ice Frozen Hydraulic Fluid
To de-ice frozen hydraulic fluid, add 1 pint Trans Tuneョ to every four gallons of fluid. Tran Tune dries the built up moisture that freezes in low temperatures.

Bottom question, is the Sea Foam converting the water to a gas and then venting it out of the hyd system.

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys #2  
JJ, Read a recent thread recommending Sea Foam Trans-Tune. I have moisture in my hydraulics & just got a can of transtune. Will post results when I see some. MikeD74t

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys #3  
Wow JJ,
I think the only way your question could be answered truthfully is if someone actually has had an issue with water or moisture in there hydraulic system and added Sea Foam. Then I would imagine you would have to completely drain system to check for moisture or water, right? Is this something your going to do on of your tractors or are you just curious?
DevilDog

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys #4  
I keep a case of water absorbing filters in my shed for just this purpose. Each one of them will filter the oil, but also pull out water.

This one is really common:
Hydraulicstore.com, Case of (12) LFF15 Water Absorbing Filter, 1"-12 Thread, 4 oz. Water Capacity
Hydraulicstore.com, Single LFF15-1 Water Absorbing Filter, 1"-12 Thread, 4 oz. Water Capacity

This one is less common, but still used:
Hydraulicstore.com LFH5011-W Water Absorbing Filter, 1-1/2"-16 Thread, 15 oz. Water Capacity

On some machines I own, I use this filter year-round. Any time my reservoir exchanges air (cylinders extending and retracting), it pulls in moist air. It's a nice way to prevent water from becoming an issue.

There are reservoir breathers that will take the moisture out before it enters. My experience with those is that they're bulky and expensive to maintain.

Water in the oil can be a real nightmare, so I can appreciate the thread JJ.

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys
Actually I am curious about the claims, and if it will change the milky emulsified fluid back to normal looking hyd fluid, I think I would be impressed.

Once the fluid is emulsified, there are high priced filtration units that will remove supposedly all the water.

I also understand about the special water absorptive filter with a certain compound to catch and hold the water, but they are limited to small units of water.

I am thinking of a test that would remove about 8 oz of fluid from a gal of hyd fluid, and adding 8 oz of water and run it through a small orifice several times to emulsify the fluid and make it a milky gray.

Now, do you supposed that if one was to heat up that emulsified fluid to about 200 degrees for about an hour, would that cause all the water to evaporate.

The sea foam test would involve another container of fluid that had been emulsified with 8 oz of water, and putting some Sea Foam in the container and see what the results would be.

You all know the hot pipe trick to see if the fluid has water in it, so after each one of the test, put several drops of the treated fluid on the pipe and see what the hot pipe test would show.

Some say it works and other say it did not do a thing . Sure I am skeptical of anybody that says they have the answer.

They also say to drain any water, and I am assuming they are talking about water that is in the hyd fluid that has not been emulsified.

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys
I keep a case of water absorbing filters in my shed for just this purpose. Each one of them will filter the oil, but also pull out water.

This one is really common:
Hydraulicstore.com, Case of (12) LFF15 Water Absorbing Filter, 1"-12 Thread, 4 oz. Water Capacity
Hydraulicstore.com, Single LFF15-1 Water Absorbing Filter, 1"-12 Thread, 4 oz. Water Capacity

This one is less common, but still used:
Hydraulicstore.com LFH5011-W Water Absorbing Filter, 1-1/2"-16 Thread, 15 oz. Water Capacity

On some machines I own, I use this filter year-round. Any time my reservoir exchanges air (cylinders extending and retracting), it pulls in moist air. It's a nice way to prevent water from becoming an issue.

There are reservoir breathers that will take the moisture out before it enters. My experience with those is that they're bulky and expensive to maintain.

Water in the oil can be a real nightmare, so I can appreciate the thread JJ.

On those water absorbing filters, is there an indicator to change the filter, and does it have a bypass ?

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys #7  
I have used it as an aid in flushing a wet trans. In fact I used to use it often.. but now just opt for a couple pints of 90% rubbing alcohol.

the alcohol content of either is a polar solvent.. water is polar.

the water will be carried out in soloution with the drainings.

I also usually toss in a quart of diesel or mineral spirits to thin the mix to make it drain better. the solvent also helps cut some of the emulsion and stuff left sticking to the castings.

in real bad sumps I have used a garden sprayer full of solvent, alcohol and atf fluid as a spry n rinse.

solvent of choice: mineral spirits, diesel, kerosene.. etc..

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys #8  
As I said in another post. 40 some years ago I worked for a farmer who swore that each tractor needed alcohol (drygas) in its hydraulic system to combat freezing in the winter. These tractors sat outside 365 days a year. It worked. Don't know what the grygas would do to a modern hydraulic system.

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys #9  
transtune is safe to use in a auto trans.. IMHO.. that shares lots of 'hydraulic' properties and similar oil type to a regualr hyd system.

alcohol is a polar solvent.. disolves water, blends with most oils.

thus you carry water in soloution, not suspension or emulsion ( that clogs filters )

soundguy

/ Sea Foam in hydraulic sys #10  
I'll try .Thanks