right hydraulic oil for dump trailer?

/ right hydraulic oil for dump trailer? #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Hi all, I built a dump trailer this summer and this is the first time I have tried to use it with it being this cold, 12-14 F. It is electric over hydraulic with a single acting cylinder, 4" X 2" x 24".
The fluid I used came from Tractor Supply, it's "Universal transmission/hydraulic oil" , is there a better oil for winter or all around?
thanks and Merry Christmas,
dave

/ right hydraulic oil for dump trailer? #2  
My Bri Mar dump trailer uses Dextron III ATF. Works well year round. Check your pump mfg for their recommendations.

/ right hydraulic oil for dump trailer?
I bought the pump used off a liftgate, I think it's a Maxon. I'll search for the info tomorrow.
thanks,
dave

/ right hydraulic oil for dump trailer? #4  
I've never used anything in lift gates or dump trailers except Dextron tranny fluid, it flows in all weather and does not seem to pick up as much moisture as hydraulic fluid.

/ right hydraulic oil for dump trailer? #5  
+3 for ATF.
All electric/hydraulic units I have ever worked on or used have specified ATF of one flavor or another.

/ right hydraulic oil for dump trailer? #6  
I saw this and was curious what the rest of you think.

Excerpt:

AMSOIL Synthetic Tractor Hydraulic/Transmission Oil (ATH) meets the above classifications and provides unsurpassed protection for modern agricultural, construction and industrial equipment. AMSOIL Hydraulic/Transmission Oil exceeds the performance requirements for virtually every piece of modern machinery and provides exceptional lubrication to reduce wear, resist heat, protect against rust and extend fluid and equipment service life.

Another question would be, does the cheap brand of hyd fluid contain an equivalent additive pkg as the more expensive or brand names?

ATH

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ath.aspx

My case trencher hyd fluid is either ATF or Hy-Trans, and my Power-Trac uses 10W-40 motor oil as the hydraulic fluid. Some of the PT owners are using synthetic motor oil, and seem satisfied.

My Case skidsteer uses either 10W-40 motor oil with a qt of Case additives, or Hy-Trans

Just how similar is HY-Trans, 10W40, ATF

I operate these machines in Fl where we may go as low as 20 degrees and that is rare.

OK, so now how do I drain the hydraulic oil and swap to ATF?
I'm guessing I will have to pull the powerpack and turn it upside down to drain and the hoses and cylinder should be easy enough to drain. Should I flush the system or don't you think the residual oil will hurt anything?
thanks and Merry Christmas,
dave

/ right hydraulic oil for dump trailer? #8  
Just drain the reservoir, hoses and cyl.

That small residual probable will not hurt anything.

cool, thanks. Now the big issue is figuring out how to get it out, the unit is in a box on the tongue of the trailer.
Do you think i could unhook a hose and run the pump to purge it out? Then drain the other hose, if the cylinder is fully closed there shouldn't be much left in there.
thanks,
dave

/ right hydraulic oil for dump trailer? #10  
for small closed sump sys's.. ps or atf would likely be fine.. otherwise I'd choose utf over plain hyd oil or jack oil.. JMHO.. etc.

soundguyt