Freezing loader cables

/ Freezing loader cables #1  

rayclar

Silver Member
Tractor
kubota 4310hstc
Hi all just wondering if anyone has some hint for thawing loader control cables and keeping them thawed? Im thinking of 12 v heat tracing the cables right to the control valve and insulating them, if i can find 12v tracer. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks ray

/ Freezing loader cables #2  
I am just alittle bit south of you. Ok thirty miles north of TO.
Could you post a pic because I am not sure what you mean.

Craig Clayton

/ Freezing loader cables
My loader control cables from the joystick in the cab go through the floor to the hydralic control valve outside where the loader disconnects are??? Clear as mud eh

/ Freezing loader cables #4  
How is moisture getting in to make them freeze? Heat them up with a heat gun or hair dryer, spray liberal amount of penitrating fluid into top of the cable to let it soak down to the control valve. After it is moving freely, figure out how moisture is getting in and seal it. Steel will not freeze to steel so moisture has to be getting in to freeze cable to the housing.

/ Freezing loader cables #5  
Are they freezing or is the grease/lube so stiff the cables won't move. Most of these cables have a rubber or plastic coating so may have to make sure any heat tape you use doesn't melt the cover.

/ Freezing loader cables #6  
I have heard of folks injecting antifreeze into the cable sheaths when the source of water ingress can't be located or stopped.

/ Freezing loader cables #7  
Hi all just wondering if anyone has some hint for thawing loader control cables and keeping them thawed? Im thinking of 12 v heat tracing the cables right to the control valve and insulating them, if i can find 12v tracer. Any hints would be appreciated. Thanks ray

How about lock de-icer? Some brands may even have lubricant in them.

/ Freezing loader cables #8  
Is it freezing in the cables or the control valve? Are you getting any movement in the joystick?

/ Freezing loader cables #9  
Mine is freezing up also but only on the up and down the dump and roleback works fine.

/ Freezing loader cables #10  
Fastback - Mine freezes the same as yours. Read a post a week or so ago - I think a kabota doing the same thing. The thought was it has moisture in the back side of the control valve but don't take the 2 screws out to take those caps off. seems there is several small ball bearings and springs in there. The suggestion was to drill a tiny hole in the bottom edge of that cap. I'm going to play with a heat gun tomorrow. I'm a little nervous about drilling holes!! do a search for freezing loader or something like that.

Bob