Hydraulics frozen?

/ Hydraulics frozen? #1  

BertZegers

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900, Zetor 8011, Kubota KX41Excavator, John Deere 4400 Combine, Case 1816C skidsteer
I have a Kubota L2900 with a LA480 Front End Loader. The FEL usaly works fine.
Now with the freezing weather the stick does not move to the up or down position for the arms. The bucket curls up and down fine. After running the tractor for half an hour the FEL works again.
There are 2 steel cables from the stick to the valve block. They seem not to be stuck.

Does anyone have a solution? Thanks.

/ Hydraulics frozen? #2  
Suspect there is moisture in the float detent cap. You described the typical sympton of this. You can somtimes clear this out wiithout taking the cap off the spool by drilling a small hole low in the end of the cap, spray some deicer in there let drain then push grease in the hole.
If you have to take the cap off to clean it, be very careful not to loose the small steel balls and springs that will likely fall out.

/ Hydraulics frozen? #3  
...There are 2 steel cables from the stick to the valve block...
:confused: Do you have a photo of this area? So the FEL stick is not directly connected to the valve?

Most of the time, what SSdoxie said... is the root cause. When the oil runs through the valve, it warms up and melts the ice. If the water can't drain anywhere, it just refreezes and you have the problem again.

/ Hydraulics frozen? #4  
What is a float detent cap. Having same issues with my Kubota.

/ Hydraulics frozen? #5  
On a loader valve , there is usually two spools that have cover cans on the bottom of the valve.

You can remove theses cans to inspect and clean and repair whatever is necessary.

There is usually a hole in the can that should be pointed down that drains any moisture.

After cleaning, put some waterproof grease in the can.

If the can does not have a hole, then drill a small drain hole.

/ Hydraulics frozen? #6  
It doesn't take much moisture in the JS control cables in freezing weather for the cables to bind. I did own an Kubota M4900 that the JS loader valve cables bound up in freezing weather but thank God it doesn't normally stay below freezing much where I live.

/ Hydraulics frozen? #7  
When I bought my YM 276 the loader valve froze in cold weather. It unfroze after warm up. I replaced the loader valve boot with a universal cv joint boot and stored the tractor under a shed. I guess moisture in the valve evaporated. The second winter no problems.

/ Hydraulics frozen? #8  
On my old tractor, I use to "wrap" a battery warmer blanket" around the block.
When I knew the weather was going to be extremely cold,
I would plug it in overnight, they don't use much power and worked for me at the time.

/ Hydraulics frozen? #9  
Hello All!

I was facing an issue with my loader valve 'sticking' in cold weather on my Kubota L4330, but I was able to find the problem and the solution. On the control cables leader from the lever in the cab to the valve block on the loader frame, I drilled a 1/64" weep hole on the lowest point of the control cable and instantly water drained out (with the tractor having been in the heated shop to thaw out before beginning work).

I hope this post helps others to figure out what might be going on with their equipment. As for me, it's back to plowing snow!

/ Hydraulics frozen? #10  
Sort of along the same line I had trouble with water in the transmission/hydraulics. Drained, pure white. Put old fluid in an open topped clean 5 gallon bucket and set in old building till I could dispose of. Working on a second tractor with same problem. Drained and installed some new fluid and ran. Next day it was white again and ice was frozen at the drain plugs. The day before I got some pure water out of the bottom while it was warmer. Putting the fluid I had drained in the same building I noticed what had been in their for awhile looked like new fluid. Poured old fluid through a strainer and on the bottom of the bucket was about an inch and half of ice. Considering using this fluid for a "flush" and then installing new fluid.