Long 445 3pt problem

/ Long 445 3pt problem #1  

Deezle

Tractor
IH 300 Utility: Long445DT
Hello,

I recently bought a Long 445DT tractor.
it is a UTB Fiat type tractor.

It runs great drives great. it is a little "clunky" and not very smooth working but it works.

Here is my problem,

The 3 point hitch does not lift via the lever. It just floats to the top position. you can then push it back down if you put your body weight on it.

When I bought it the previous owner said the 3pt hitch needed to be bled out.
He never used it cause he used the machine for pulling logs.

I took the relief valve(s) out and checked to see they push in and are free of debris. I took the pilot valve out and checked that over. It was not stuck and was shiny as can be.

The fluid is milky but I want to figure out the problem first.

The remotes flow fluid but I don't have a pressure reading.
I took the front hyd cover off ( I guess it is called the hydraulic "head" ) and could see the piston. I moved the piston with a prybar ( it was kindof stuck ) it moved freely afterward.

I removed the filter screen to see if that helped. it did not.

The 3pt lever does not seem to do alot when I look at the linkage.

There is a plug/valve under the hydraulic "head" that you need to remove the head to take the valve out. What is the function of this?

Im at a loss here. Im almost at the point of selling the machine because I need a working 3pth to plow/plant in the spring.

Thank you in advance!

Kody

/ Long 445 3pt problem #2  
The pilot valve under your seat is notorious for sticking and when it does, the lift wont work. This is the valve between your legs under the seat and also under the remote crossover shaft. To test this valve, pull it up out of the hole, turn it 90 degrees and see if it freely drops to the bottom of the seat, rotate another 90 degrees and do the same thing. Continue this process until you make a complete circle. If it binds, put it on a arbor and put it in the drill press in sand it until in all 4 locations, it drops freely to the bottom. Change the milky fluid. Likely water came thru a bad rubber boot or condensation/sweating inside the housing. Ken Sweet

/ Long 445 3pt problem #3  
and i always bleed them by removing the two bolts that hold the pressure line on to the lift top and let it run for a few minutes until the fluid flows out good

/ Long 445 3pt problem
hello,

the pilot valve is free. I will check again because it is easy to access.

I don't know if it needs to be bled because fluid does flow out of the line when you pull it off. Im pretty sure it is a constant flow aswell with not "pulsing".

Thanks,

/ Long 445 3pt problem #5  
Pump; 3 pt. hitch is self bleeding, never had an issue. Does the controL lever that goes through the top cover (3 PT. housing) move freely. If so, move on. What Mr. Sweet said is most common. Most of the issues lie in that hydraulic pack. I'm thinking because of the milkey oil, pump flow and pressure could be to blame. It would be to your advantage to install 3000 lb pressure gauge in the remote. Normal reading was 2500 lb. Bet yours is quite a bit less. They do like to eat pumps, with milky oil.

/ Long 445 3pt problem
ok,

ill get the oil changed out,

But what is this valve in this diagram?

Valve #3

Hydraulic Head Valves

it seems to be under the pilot valve?

Thanks,

/ Long 445 3pt problem #7  
# 3 is the Inlet valve,and drain valve combined. Must remove the whole control valve off top cover to remove these valves.

Attachments

• Long tractor control valve 005.JPG
    Long tractor control valve 005.JPG
    709.1 KB · Views: 15,541
Last edited:
   / Long 445 3pt problem
ok,

now that you say that it does look a little different.

When I get some time Im just going to have to pull it apart again.

the pilot valve doesn't seem to stick like you were saying.

The 3pt lever moves freely.

Looking at the hyd head from the back side (what you can't see with it on the machine) over by the speed control the lift linkage hooks in there right? if that is the case something is wrong because it does not move when the lever is moved.

it does move when the 3pt arms are moved up and down, could that be what controls when the relief kicks in so it doesn't blow the piston out?

Does anybody have a diagram of the internal 3pt valve?

thanks,

/ Long 445 3pt problem #10  
That pic U showed if off a newer 2000 series tractor. I would look at external linkages. Nobody ever lubs them, and they have to be free to work properly.