Help with float on a prince control valve

/ Help with float on a prince control valve #1  

kevinwak

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
I just received my prince model SV 2 spool control valve to install onto my JD 2520. I ordered it with a float spool and a standard spool. In the location I am installing it the valve handles will be in front of the valve body. This means to raise an implement I will pull the lever towards the valve body. My only trouble is that the float position must have been built for if you pushed the lever towards the valve to lower, because it locks into the float detent when it is fully in. Is there a way to flip the float around so that it engages with the lever is fully away/out from the valve? If not I will have to completely rework my mounting of the valve, or learn to operate a control backwards...

/ Help with float on a prince control valve #2  
The common sense approach to things is to push fwd to make things go down, and pull back for things to go up.

Look at page three.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Instruct/I9-7401.pdf

Float or down is usually push in to the valve.

On this valve, I believe they removed the joystick handle and rotated it to fit the mounting arrangement.

Last edited:
   / Help with float on a prince control valve #3  
Can you post a couple pics of how you have the valve mounted? It sounds like you need to rotate the valve 180 degrees, then change the work port hoses. If this is a 2 lever valve, push forward on handle to lower then push more to go into float. For the bucket curl push to dump and pull back to curl.
No you can not reverse the float action, this is set up in the through internal passages in the valve spool when you move it beyond power down and into "detent" locked position it opens both rod & base end o cylinder to the same pressure.

/ Help with float on a prince control valve
SSdoxie said:
Can you post a couple pics of how you have the valve mounted? It sounds like you need to rotate the valve 180 degrees, then change the work port hoses. If this is a 2 lever valve, push forward on handle to lower then push more to go into float. For the bucket curl push to dump and pull back to curl.
No you can not reverse the float action, this is set up in the through internal passages in the valve spool when you move it beyond power down and into "detent" locked position it opens both rod & base end o cylinder to the same pressure.

I don't have it mounted yet but where I want to mount it the valve body will be behind the handles. There isn't much room on my little tractor for other ways of mounting it. I was just wondering if anything could be changed/reversed internally to switch the float.

/ Help with float on a prince control valve #5  
Only way to change direction of handle movement that I can think of is to change location of the pivot point so handle moves opposite direction to push spool in.

/ Help with float on a prince control valve #6  
They describe how to change the lever direction in the reference I posted above if it is the Prince LV valve.

I don't understand the point of mounting the valve.

You set the mount to the valve bolt pattern, whether you have to turn the valve upside down or side ways, as long as you have the standard lever movement, such as push fwd for lift arms down, and more fwd for float, etc. Left for tilt up, and right for tilt down and more right for regen.

It could also be mounted on the fender, and set for the correct lever movement.