Using what I have

/ Using what I have
When I started this project, I had planned on this pump (scroll down) Log Splitter parts hydraulic pumps valves cylinders 28gpm two stage for $198. Chinese clone of the Halidex. Had also planned on the 5x2x24 cylinder. Actually built the splitter with intentions of a wood processor and the possibility of using a 6 inch cyl. Everything is designed to accept the 6in cyl if I decided I needed it. The processor would have a much bigger engine and different pumps. Laid off after 35 years of service has put me to pinching pennies. Hence the title "Using what I have". So far, except fo the valve assembly I got the other day, and a few bolts, I pretty much had everything I needed to put this splitter together. Only steel I have bought has been the 15ft of 14ga 3x3 tubing for $35.

According to surplus center tech page, I should be able to get by with 23hp and 11 gpm at 3000psi, hench my pump choice that is rated at 11gpm. Of course I thought that GPM was @1750rpm, not realizeing it was for only 1200rpms. I havent found a spec sheet of the power curve for the 25 hp Kholer engine yet, so not sure the HP at 1700rpms. I do have several smaller vane pumps, but I think they are only 2-4-and 5 gpm.

I am pretty much stuck with what I have right now, maybe in a wk or two if I go back to work, I can make the necessary changes to my pump system.

I do Thank everyone for their help and ideals.

/ Using what I have #42  
When I started this project, I had planned on this pump (scroll down) Log Splitter parts hydraulic pumps valves cylinders 28gpm two stage for $198. Chinese clone of the Halidex. Had also planned on the 5x2x24 cylinder. Actually built the splitter with intentions of a wood processor and the possibility of using a 6 inch cyl. Everything is designed to accept the 6in cyl if I decided I needed it. The processor would have a much bigger engine and different pumps. Laid off after 35 years of service has put me to pinching pennies. Hence the title "Using what I have". So far, except fo the valve assembly I got the other day, and a few bolts, I pretty much had everything I needed to put this splitter together. Only steel I have bought has been the 15ft of 14ga 3x3 tubing for $35.

According to surplus center tech page, I should be able to get by with 23hp and 11 gpm at 3000psi, hench my pump choice that is rated at 11gpm. Of course I thought that GPM was @1750rpm, not realizeing it was for only 1200rpms. I havent found a spec sheet of the power curve for the 25 hp Kholer engine yet, so not sure the HP at 1700rpms. I do have several smaller vane pumps, but I think they are only 2-4-and 5 gpm.

I am pretty much stuck with what I have right now, maybe in a wk or two if I go back to work, I can make the necessary changes to my pump system.

I do Thank everyone for their help and ideals.

If they are Vickers Vane pumps they are sized at 1200 RPM so your 5 GPM would produce 7.5 GPM @ 1800 RPM.

/ Using what I have
I read the spec sheets that you have provided, but some things dont add up, at least in my mind. I know from experience with pressure checks on some of our older equipment that we where getting more than 2000psi out of vicker vane pumps similar to what I have. These where all V10's and V20 series. All where turning 1750rpms. I dont remember the exact pressure reading we got, somewhere around 2400psi. I know that there are pressure reliefs built in the pumps and am just wondering if its possible that since our equipment pumps where on specialty equipment if maybe they where just spec'ed out different. And if so, then would it be possible to tamper with the reliefs to increase pressure output of the pumps I already have. We seldom lost a pump on anything and when we did it was usually because the operator let the machine run low on fluid.

/ Using what I have #44  
I read the spec sheets that you have provided, but some things dont add up, at least in my mind. I know from experience with pressure checks on some of our older equipment that we where getting more than 2000psi out of vicker vane pumps similar to what I have. These where all V10's and V20 series. All where turning 1750rpms. I dont remember the exact pressure reading we got, somewhere around 2400psi. I know that there are pressure reliefs built in the pumps and am just wondering if its possible that since our equipment pumps where on specialty equipment if maybe they where just spec'ed out different. And if so, then would it be possible to tamper with the reliefs to increase pressure output of the pumps I already have. We seldom lost a pump on anything and when we did it was usually because the operator let the machine run low on fluid.
The V10 & V20 series are a newer pump design that where rated for higher pressures up to 2500 PSI depending on size, and in some cases also higher speeds (RPM's).

Eaton has a decent website but I could not find the V200 or V210 series specs on it. The V10 & V20 are still current and literature is available on-line.

Roy

/ Using what I have
Here is what I found on the v10 and v20 pumps,

4. V10/V20 Pumps
The V10 and V20 pumps are
designed for low- to mediumpressure
mobile and industrial
applications. They are the
premium fixed pump choice
as the main system pumps
for small industrial and mobile
equipment or as pilot and
auxiliary pumps for complex
systems. They are also the
standard steering pump technology
for heavy-duty trucks
and interstate buses. Optional
integrated flow control valves
simplify system design and
installation.
Applications: Power units,
power steering, skid steerers,
lift trucks and balers.
Specifications:
Displacements from 0.2 in3/
rev (3.3 cc/rev)?.18 in3/rev
(84.8 cc/rev). Using single
and double pump combined
flow.
Pressures (max.) up to 210
bar (3,000 psi) continuous.
Rated Speeds up to 4,800 rpm

I knew that the pumps we used where rated at more than 1200rpms and 2000psi. I probably should have researched the v210 a little more before I mounted it.
Since I have already mounted the v210 pump to the engine, I am going to go ahead and try it. If it doesnt do the way I want it to, I will mount the V10 5gpm pump I bought new and had on another piece of equipment that I have and have scraped. The V10 has the same shaft size (3/4) and same port sizes as the V210 so the swap will only be changeing out the fittings and 2 bolts. Once I go back to work, the 28gpm 2stage will be my next purchase.

/ Using what I have
If this link works it is the literature on the V10 & V20 pumps.

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/698.pdf

If I am reading the spec sheet right, it seems I will need to run my engine at 2000 rpm to get the full 5gpm and 2500psi out of my 5gpm v10 pump. For now, that will do until I can afford to do better. Now that I know a little more about what to look for, I will just keep a watch at the scrapyard and maybe pickup something a little better for cheap.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and time. Thank You!

/ Using what I have #48  
If I am reading the spec sheet right, it seems I will need to run my engine at 2000 rpm to get the full 5gpm and 2500psi out of my 5gpm v10 pump.
I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and time. Thank You!

No, those are the max rated conditions. 5 GPM flow is at 1200 RPM & 2500 PSI is max pressure regardless of speed. AT 2000 RPM you would be producing around 8 GPM.

All of the Vickers V10, V20, 20V, 35V, etc are all flow rated at 1200 RPM.

For higher pressure vane pump you need the VMQ or VPF lines. These are both models that will go to 3000 PSI or higher depending on size etc. I believe the VMQ series was more mobil based while the VPF was more industrial.

Denison and Bosch also made some good vane pumps.

enjoy trying to share my knowledge. i figure when you stop learning your as good as buried.

Roy

/ Using what I have
Thought I wuld update a little on my project. No pics, was raining when I tested it and getting dark.

Fired it up and ran engine about half throttle. Had a couple of hoses left loose so made a mess right off the getgo. Tightened everything up and did some dry runs extending the cylinder a few times to make sure no binding on the Hbeam. Threw on a 30inch dia knotty whitepine round and it split like butter. Then decided to use the 4way. Cyl so fast it almost shot the blade out of the Hbream. I was expecting that and can feather the control and work with it until I can get a orfice to slow it down. After splitting a few smaller oak round we decide to try another large round that my buddies splitter wouldnt bust. Old knotty spanish oak. I centered the 4way and pulled the lever. Machine didnt even slow down. His machine would only hangup in it and mine split it 4 ways. Needless to say I was happy and my buddywas impressed. I was using the splitter valve with factory settings. I did have to adjust the detent on the return side. Half a turn on the relief fixxed that. I dont have a pressure guage on it yet so dont know the pressure on the pump. Speed is pretty comforatble, not to fast, not to slow.

I removed the boom assembly I made to lift the logs. I just didnt have the money to buy all the hoses and its just in the way if it isnt working. I will finish fabbing it up and reinstall it later when money aint as tight. I havent decided on a swing assembly setup for the boom yet. I can do cylinder, but have a stator rotor motor that would work. Cyl would be easier to hookup but would limit the swing radius. I am aiming for 180 degrees only to keep from wrapping the boom hoses around the boom. The hyd. motor would need to have swing limiting added to keep boom from turning to far and ripping the hoses off. This could prove hard on the drive chain.

Tomorrow, I will try to take a few pics and post