Curl cylinder question

/ Curl cylinder question #1  

djw250

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510
Well, after playing with my new ratchet rake most of the day, I have noticed that there is quite a bit of play in my curl cylinders when extended. I know you shouldn't back drag with a lot of down force with the cylinders extended, but I do some finish dragging with the loader in the float position figuring that the loader would raise before I bent the cylinder rods.

By play, I mean that when I lower the loader with the cutting edge tilted down, the piston moves back up into the cylinder quite a bit. I don't remember it doing that when the tractor was new, so I'm assuming it is either due to wear or air trapped in the cylinders. Anybody else noticed this or have a cure for it?

/ Curl cylinder question #2  
Purge the air out by cycling the cyl about 10 times. There should be no spongy feeling or cyl movement unless the lever is not centered.

If you have air, you need to check for a suction leak.

/ Curl cylinder question
Thanks JJ. Where would be a likely place for a suction leak, and how would one check it?

/ Curl cylinder question #4  
I would check the suction hose for cracks, and tighten up all the fittings and clamps.

Look in the tank if possible, for air bubbles.

/ Curl cylinder question #5  
If it's not air in the system, it could be internal leakage in either the cylinder or control valve.

/ Curl cylinder question #6  
As stated a "sloppy bucket" is caused by air in the line. If your loader has fast dump, then try the following.

With the tractor at what ever RPM would get you 540 at the PTO, bucket up off the ground. Push the joystick all the way to the right as far as it can go and let the bucket dump completely, putting it into regen/fast dump. Then curl it back, do this a couple times, it should get the air out.