swing chain installation problem--ford 19-551

/ swing chain installation problem--ford 19-551 #1  

bruce korenko

Tractor
ford d501--19-551,hoe--
19-551 ford backhoe on a 551 tractor---1.. replaced broken chain. 2.. pinned it to left cylinder.3..?.. how do I get the hydraulic cylinder on the right side to extend out so I can insert the pin that holds the chain and the hydraulic cylinder together?? or what is the correct procedure to install a swing chain?? thanks

/ swing chain installation problem--ford 19-551 #2  
We replaced the swing chain on the 550 at work, bit it's been over 30 years ago... Seems we hooked onto that cylinder with a chain & shackle, and come-along. With the hoe not running, moved the swing lever, so to open the valve. In your case, like you'd be swinging to the left.

That should allow oil to flow into the backside of the cylinder, and let it pull out. If you go too far, it should be no problem. Cycle it a few times, and it should even itself out.

As I said, it's been 30+ years, but seems like that is what we did...

/ swing chain installation problem--ford 19-551 #3  
Yeah, operate the lever (engine off) and pull on the cylinder with a lever or winch. It shouldn't be too hard to move, just a little too hard to pull out by hand. Also if you are on the level you can lift the bucket off the ground (engine on) and swing the boom by hand (engine off) to get slack in the chain.

/ swing chain installation problem--ford 19-551
thank you. as soon as this snow/wind storm stops i,ll give it a try.

thankx. ill try to use a lever first then a come a long if that doesn't work. thanks again bk

the swing chain is on!! 1. come along from cyl. to tree. 2.put strong tension on cyl. while working control lever. 3. on my hoe having the tractor running worked much better than having it off. 4. i could gain 1/2 inch to 1 inch then had to tighten come along again.5. reinstalled the two hose clamps and that had to be removed to move to get the swing chain pin out and that is that. ps. 6. using the secret mechanics phrases i used from time to time seemed to help but were not neccesary and might violate the rules of this forum. your choise.

i didn't mention that i had the hoe to the extreme left and on the ground while working the lever controls. not sure this is important.but there may be some sort of a bypass in the hydrolics when they are at their extremes to prevent damage.