3rd function

/ 3rd function #1  

Alpha Dog

Tractor
Kubota L2800 DT, Kubota L275.
OK, admittedly, I'm not very good at "searching" on these forums, so if the only answer here is just to steer me in the right direction, that's great. But what I'm trying to do is add a 3rd function on my Kubota L2800 with a LA463 backhoe. I'm planning to add an "add-on type bucket grapple" at first, then eventually get a root grapple type setup. (and in the meantime, convert from a pin-on bucket to a quick attach of some type).
I've looked at several "kits" and found several threads where people installed a 3rd function for about 1/3 the price by doing it themselves. I can turn a wrench, but right now, I can write down everything I know about hydraulics on a small sticky note, using a big magic marker, and keep it legible.
My problem is that lack of knowledge. The L2800 has a "block" under the right side of the deck, with the "power beyond" (whatever that really means) hooked into a line that goes to the rear hookups for my backhoe. I seldom take the backhoe off the tractor, it's a pain, (and I really don't need to, I've got another tractor that I use with 3-pt equipment), so I don't want to "tap" into that area. I called the dealer, and they said that they can install a 3rd function for "about $1000." (I'm still not sure the young man on the phone understood I have the backhoe setup.) However, even with my "minimal" knowledge of hydraulics, a grand seemed kind of expensive for what I figured was a valve, a couple of fittings and a few short lengths of hose.
But, I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction either with new information, or some words to search for another thread on this, so my question is kind of two parts:
1. Can I still "build" a 3rd function setup for myself with the backhoe installed? (I'd prefer to build it so that I can close the grapple and tilt the bucket at the same time, but am not absolutely convinced I need to).
2. If I can't "invent" my own, does anyone know of a "kit" for the tractor that will work with the backhoe installed that is less expensive than the dealer installation?

/ 3rd function #2  
Check W.R.Long for a kit for your tractor....the kit will be about $600-$800 ,so you are saving labor cost.

/ 3rd function #3  
Do you have time to read... the information *is* on TBN. The search feature stinks at best... First question you need to answer is how would you like to make the grapple work? Push button or another valve? There's a link in my signature for what I did to my L2800.

I went with another valve mainly because it the cheaper route for adding three other hydraulic features. The Electric over hydraulic adds just one, you can look at this link:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/194814-grapple-jd790-419-front-end.html#post2237333

/ 3rd function #4  
One of these.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6136&catname=hydraulic

and one of these.

Surplus Center - 1 STATION DO3 SUBPLATE CLOSED AND OPEN CENTER

Route the PB out from your FEL valve, through the solenoid valve, and then through the other valves . All valves i series.

A switch on the joystick will control the valve.

If you use max curl there will be no fluid downstream for the solenoid valve, until you pull the curl to neutral. If you feather the curl, you can use the 3ed function valve for grapple, or whatever.

If you want two solenoid valves for the 3ed function, get another solenoid and a DO3 base plate like this.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?catname=hydraulic&item=9-5883-2

/ 3rd function #5  
So, as I understand this, I detach the "3'rd line" that goes to the rear (3pt hitch?) of the tractor, and run it through the base plate, then to original detached (3pt hitch) line? So I could use a stackable, and just add base plates as required to add functions? The reason I ask is I need to add a circuit for a grapple I have ordered. I also want to put a small hydraulic motor on to rotate my snow blower. Who knows what I'll find to use it for after that, but I like the idea of being able to "grow" my system if I need to. I only want to go through this once.

Thanks

/ 3rd function #6  
...I detach the "3'rd line" that goes to the rear (3pt hitch?) of the tractor, and run it through the base plate, then to original detached (3pt hitch) line? So I could use a stackable, and just add base plates as required to add functions?...
:confused: Have no idea what base plates you are talking about - you need to start a new thread since I guess you are talking about a Kubota b2400??? vs. the L2800 of the OP??

If you have a loader that has power beyond (most likely) you can route that PB to a new stackable valve with PB to hook back to the 3ph... I don't know what exactly what J_J is talking about above about base plates but I'm guessing it's about a diverter vs. a valve.

/ 3rd function #7  
This is a DO3 baseplate/subplate for a solenoid valve. It will take pressure as high as 3000 psi. So you can route the PB through it and continue the fluid downstreamto the next valve.

This one is a single subplate, and they come with multiple positions

It can be mounted just about anywhere before the 3pt

Surplus Center - 1 STATION DO3 SUBPLATE OPEN CENTER

3 position subplate/baseplate

Surplus Center - 3 STATION DO3 SERIES OC SUBPLATE

Keep in mind that solenoid valves are instant full on, no feathering.

So if you have a cyl or hyd motor that doesn't care about feathering, then a solenoid valve makes sense.

There are stack valves that one can use to add spool section as needed. and yes, no base/subplate needed here. This is a stack valve. You can order it any way you want with many options.

Stack valve sections are about $140

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-20-3-Y&catname=hydraulic

Last edited:
   / 3rd function #8  
Iron Brew,

The best way IMO is to use a selector valve to switch between curl and grapple.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7738-A&catname=hydraulic

The valve is solenoid operated by flipping a switch on the joystick handle and choosing either curl or grapple using the joystick lever.

You can not use both functions at the same time, but the difference is only a few seconds.

A stack valve is something you might use at the rear for remotes for things like T-N-T, a hyd motor driven attachment, or SA cyl operation, 3 position detent, log splitter, and the list goes on and on. . The stack valve can be built to suit the operation. It should have PB.

To operate a grapple with controls in the back can be done, but with some difficulty.

Cost of the system is based on where you purchase the items, and how much you can do yourself.

One hand operation for both curl and grapple is much preferred.

Last edited:
   / 3rd function #9  
Is the blower a front mounted blower? If it is then you can use your loader hydraulics or the grapple hydraulics to rotate the chute. I have a subframe mounted blower. The loader joystick is used to control the raising and lowering of the blower as well as rotation of the chute. I control the chute deflector with rear remotes. If the blower is rear mounted then you will have taken the backhoe off and could use that hydraulic circuit to rotate the chute.

/ 3rd function #10  
Is the blower a front mounted blower? If it is then you can use your loader hydraulics or the grapple hydraulics to rotate the chute. I have a subframe mounted blower. The loader joystick is used to control the raising and lowering of the blower as well as rotation of the chute. I control the chute deflector with rear remotes. If the blower is rear mounted then you will have taken the backhoe off and could use that hydraulic circuit to rotate the chute.

No backhoe option, and rear mounted. Since I'm going to have a valve for the grapple, and will be using the bucket only when the blower is on, I think this is the route I will go. Will need longer hoses, but that is way simpler than all new rear hydraulics... kits for that sort of thing are

a) unobtanium
b) ridiculous expensive
c) dealer has no idea and couldn't be bothered looking.

I envy the US the competitiveness of their businesses.