Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather?

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather? #1  

northpolefolks

Bronze Member
I am getting close to purchasing a new 45-50hp class tractor and was leaning on the hydrostatic transmission. That is until yesterday.

A friend has a newer tractor, similar size, and he can hardly get the thing moving in real cold weather (-20 farenheit). His two other tractors, 75hp and 130hp, are the same year and both have shuttle transmissions. They work just fine in cold weather comparibly. We loaded some round bales on my trailer yesterday with his 75hp w/shuttle but his hydrostatic tractor only rolled out of the way and back into the barn when we were done.

Have any of you had this problem with your hydrostatic transmissions?

Oh, by the way, the dealer said "warm it up in neutral for about an hour first". He did and not real change. He plugs his tractors in (block heater/circ pump) for about an hour prior to firing and no problems.

Thanks for any info you have.

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather? #2  
Don't know where you're located, but I'll be plowing the snow tomorrow. Overnight low will be below zero F-scale. I'd likely be 5 or 6 when I start.

I say that because HST's work in 10's of 1000's of tractors up here in the frozen north country. Work just fine.

That said, there are some things that need to be done and I recommend from my experience. First, a block heater for the engine is great!!!
While the engine is warming up, life and lower the FEL a half dozen times to get the hydro fluid moving. Slowly back out of the shop. All this mixes the fluid, It is going to take some time to get up to temperature, even when the engine is warm. Transferring that warmth to the HST takes a bit. Don't rush. It's under considerable pump pressures.

Finally, use a low, multi-weight fluid such as Kubota SUDT-2 or Deere's best ultra low viscosity, multi-viscosity fluid. (name escapes me). Or, a Chevron synthetic, or similar. You won't regret it.

If you live up here and must use your machine, using some generic universal tractor fluid may save you a buck or two, but it just isn't worth it.

My hands and feet are plenty busy enough when plowing snow and my head's on a swivel around buildings, cars, traffic, etc. Last thing I'd want to do is shift and clutch, thank you very much. In short? I love my HST in zero weather and snow plowing. You just have to understand how it works, what it needs and it'll outlive a clutch. Splitting a tractor to replace a clutch isn't exactly cheap either. Just sayin'. My $.02

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather? #4  
Ya, something else is wrong with it. I have run my HST in -10F weather BEFORE i installed a heating device for the block and the HST transmission.

The HST groaned a bit, but after about 5 minutes of running at high idle, it ran just fine.

Now i have a glue on heater for the HST unit and i dont get ANY noise upon start up after a 1-2 hour preheat.

I started it last week when it was 5F, and it did not groan at all and moved right out after 1 hours warm-up.

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather? #5  
We have a B7500 and a BX2660, both have HST and we have never had any issues with running them in the cold.

Aaron Z

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather? #6  
I am getting close to purchasing a new 45-50hp class tractor and was leaning on the hydrostatic transmission. That is until yesterday.

A friend has a newer tractor, similar size, and he can hardly get the thing moving in real cold weather (-20 farenheit). His two other tractors, 75hp and 130hp, are the same year and both have shuttle transmissions. They work just fine in cold weather comparibly. We loaded some round bales on my trailer yesterday with his 75hp w/shuttle but his hydrostatic tractor only rolled out of the way and back into the barn when we were done.

Have any of you had this problem with your hydrostatic transmissions?

Oh, by the way, the dealer said "warm it up in neutral for about an hour first". He did and not real change. He plugs his tractors in (block heater/circ pump) for about an hour prior to firing and no problems.

Thanks for any info you have.

What kind of oil & filters is being used in the hydro tranny ?
The oil that came from the factory in mine was 10W30 non synthetic. I switched to a 5W30 synthetic & the filters are rated for cold weather operation.
-20 is very cold for non synthetic oil with out an oil heater of some kind
If is cold out after I start the tractor, i'll hold one of the hydro pedals down some and let the oil circulate and warm up a bit while the engine warms up some.
I'm glad it don't get that cold here very often.

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather? #7  
Then again...the op's nick is northpolefolks.... so maybe the -20 is a balmy day??

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather? #8  
Then again...the op's nick is northpolefolks.... so maybe the -20 is a balmy day??

More reason then ever to put a new HST filter and low vis/syn fluid in that puppy. But still...... Not running at all? After warming up an hour? Really?

As my uncle used to say about the odd kid in his neighborhood, "That boy ain't right."

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather? #9  
In 1981 I got a JD 950 and in the manual it said, in cold weather to turn the 3pt drop valve down to 1/2 turn or 1 turn (can't remember for sure). That would help heat the hyd oil up. Not sure if it would work on a kubota I haven't needed to try it on the ones I have, but the JD it worked.

/ Hydrostatic transmission bad in cold weather?
Well,

Like an election, numbers win. No doubt his hydrostat is not right. Until now I have not been paying alot of attention to the cold weather issue (or what was thought to be) with the hydrostats.

Maintenance and warming things up before you put power to it no doubt add longevity to the whole tool.

I just sold my Ford 3550 tonight and it ran great for its age, hdyraulics strong and everything in between. That was a direct result of proper maintenance and care (from both me and the first owner). Hopefully my next tractor will last as long.

Well hydrostat it is then I think. My boys are starting to move hay and other things that involve the tractor so they too will appreciate not having to work the clutch so much I think.

Thanks again for the insight. Now I just have to decide on brand. Like I have said on other posts, the best dealership around for support and maintenance is LS so that's a big issue. I like the bullet proof build of the Mahindra but no dealers up here in the event of some major issue.