How I added rear remote hydraulics to my tractor

/ How I added rear remote hydraulics to my tractor #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
Disclaimer: This won't be as good of a write up as Jim's, or Teg's or most of the other's that I've read on here, but I'll do my best. :D

Like many people here on TBN, my "need" for rear remote hydraulics started immediately when I finally learned what on earth they even were! I didn't know I needed them, until I knew they existed, I was just fine without them...or so I thought.
I learned that Top N Tilt was a fancy way of saying "hydraulic top link" and "hydraulic side link" respectively. Once I found out about that, it was all over :laughing:

Not only did I need Top N Tilt, I also suddenly felt the need for an extra remote back aft, not because I had the need for one, but because I thought that maybe, possibly, there was a good chance I MAY come across an implement that would use hydraulics. (I was right:D)

I have a 2002 Kubota L4610, which isn't a very popular model, but should be very similar to other L series, and since most tractor hydraulic systems are similar, the process of adding hydraulics to just about any of our tractors isn't all that different.

Here is how I added 4 rear remotes to the back of my tractor. I should have posted this long ago, as I completed the work a few months ago, but I hadn't gotten around to it until now. I'll try to remember as best I could. I literally, knew nothing about hydraulics. I didn't know there were different thread types, different cylinder types, different everything types. I learned everything I know now, right here on TBN, from all of you guys. I did start a thread asking a lot of questions which may be helpful for someone else starting out, and not knowing too much. That thread is here: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/192676-adding-3rd-function-valve-top.html

It may take me a couple days to complete this little review of what I did, so bear with me... :D

Here are the best couple pics I have of the 'BEFORE' and 'AFTER'.
(As you can tell, I didn't paint the valve before I installed it, I honestly never even thought about it, as stupid as that sounds, so painting will come next)

Attachments

• Christmas 2010 284.jpg
    Christmas 2010 284.jpg
    699.8 KB · Views: 16,830
  • Christmas 2010 286.jpg
    Christmas 2010 286.jpg
    448.7 KB · Views: 9,719
  • i-T2dnGtJ-L.jpg
    i-T2dnGtJ-L.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 30,705
  • i-kRCqDmx-L.jpg
    i-kRCqDmx-L.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 19,696
   / How I added rear remote hydraulics to my tractor #2  
Looks great:thumbsup:
I have triple rear remotes on my 2008 Mahindra 5525 ($700 dealer installed when I bought the tractor new). Love those flat top rear fenders--makes installing the valve cluster a cinch.

Good luck.

/ How I added rear remote hydraulics to my tractor #3  
That's quite a cluster! Once you know the proper fluid direction for a given function, be sure to color code each hose and plug-in with colored zip ties if their is to be any multiple valve usage or future un-plugging exercises. It's a real pain to have to jump down off the tractor and switch the hose's fluid direction.

/ How I added rear remote hydraulics to my tractor
I didn't mention in my first post that I wanted to plumb in a 3rd function so I could operate a grapple on the FEL. Originally when I asked about how to do all this, I had it all included in one big project, the 3rd function valve, the 4 spool valve, and the PB port. I ended up buying the W.R. LONG 3rd function valve kit, then installing it, and doing my 4 spool valve later, quite a while later. So looking back, I should have done it all at once, and just bought my own solenoid, hoses, connectors and so on. However, I don't at all regret buying the WR LONG kit, mostly because at the time, I didn't know much about how hydraulics worked, and that kit was ridiculously easy to install. So easy that I never even stepped back to take pictures. :(

Here is the kit I bought, the electric over hydraulic. Valve Kits
I believe it was about $700 after adding the QD fittings and bulkhead mount.

The basic flow diagram that came in the kit is attached as a PDF.

It was a lot easier to install with the FEL disconnected and out of the way.

The pics are the only (not very good:D) pics I took while installing the kit, pretty simple really....
I took the solenoid supplied with the kit, and mounting bracket, and bolted it in place via the same bolt hole location used for the FEL valve. I believe the kit supplied longer bolts for this reason but don't remember exactly. :confused:

Now that the solenoid itself is attached, I needed to attach the hoses. I simply replaced the PB hose from the FEL with the new supplied hose, and attached that hose from the PB of the FEL (that I just took off) and attached the other end to the P port of the WR Long solenoid. Then I took the other supplied hose and attached it from the T port of the solenoid, back to where I just took the original hose out of, which continues now to the 3pt hitch.

So in a more simplified way, (assuming I could use zip ties for the connections:laughing:) all I did was cut the PB hose coming from the FEL to the 3pt hitch in half, and insterted the new solenoid. (of course, you can't do that:D) but it may help explain it better??

After that I had two hoses left. The supply and return for the grapple, which ran down the FEL arm alongside the already existing lines used for curl and raise/lower. I then welded on the bulkhead bracket and attached the hoses.

It's really a lot easier than I make it sound. :laughing:

Attachments

• 1 027.jpg
    1 027.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 6,556
  • 1 028.jpg
    1 028.jpg
    899.7 KB · Views: 5,253
  • Backside of WRL Valve.jpg
    Backside of WRL Valve.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 7,578
  • 1 029.jpg
    1 029.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 7,556
  • 1 030.jpg
    1 030.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 6,427
  • Hyd DO3B Flow Diagram.pdf
    218.4 KB · Views: 3,436
Now that the Solenoid valve was installed, and actually working (I forgot to mention wiring in the toggle switch, which was very simple) I needed to go play a little bit. Here are some of the first uses I had with the grapple.

Attachments

• 1 032.jpg
    1 032.jpg
    457.2 KB · Views: 4,300
  • 1 034.jpg
    1 034.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 4,153
  • 1 035.jpg
    1 035.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 5,777
  • 1 042.jpg
    1 042.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 3,925
  • 1 045.jpg
    1 045.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 3,714
  • 1 047.jpg
    1 047.jpg
    445.1 KB · Views: 3,457
After some time went by, and a whole lot more reading and questioning on TBN, I decided it was time to take the plunge and order the valve.

As mentioned, I wanted at least 3 spools, and for not much more money I could add a 4th. I thought I was getting carried away with too many rear remotes, but actually, I have just enough. 2 of those remotes, will always be tied up with Top N Tilt, so I only have 2 extra to use for implements.
Right now I have one need for the 3rd, which is for my hydraulic scarifiers on my box blade, however when I eventually add a gauge wheel to my box blade, I can make it hydraulic, and control all 4 functions from the comfort of my seat.

Here are the series of pictures I took when I put the valve together, this is how I assembled my stack valve.

(Note: In the fist picture, you can see how I had the pressure relief adjustment in the same orientation as the silver detent caps. I put the valve together with that end portion (pressure relief end) the wrong way the first time, then got it right before I bolted it all together)

(Another Note: Don't open all the pics if you have a slow connection, they're basically all the same but just showing how I assembled the valve)

Attachments

• 1 142.jpg
    1 142.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 2,427
  • 1 141.jpg
    1 141.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 2,198
  • 1 140.jpg
    1 140.jpg
    965.7 KB · Views: 2,863
  • 1 130.jpg
    1 130.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 3,995
  • 1 143.jpg
    1 143.jpg
    989.7 KB · Views: 12,396
  • 1 144.jpg
    1 144.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 7,937
  • 1 145.jpg
    1 145.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 2,831
  • 1 146.jpg
    1 146.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 3,458
  • 1 149.jpg
    1 149.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 5,014
Just FYI. I started explaining my valve install in my other thread towards the end, but I decided to start a new one just to record how I did the install. The other thread started getting pretty confusing towards the end, so if you notice some of the same pics/wording in a few posts, that is why :D

I decided I will mount the valve on the right rear fender, this wasn't all that difficult of a decision considering that the right rear fender is about the only possible place it will fit without much modification! :D

The only thing that made it a little 'cramped' was the rear flasher, I disconnected it and moved it in a little closer to the ROPS where there was already a hole drilled for it, this hole was slightly further back than the one it was in before, and gave me just enough room to fit the valve :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1 151.jpg
    1 151.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 3,115
  • 1 150.jpg
    1 150.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 4,011
  • 1 148.jpg
    1 148.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 3,731
  • 1 147.jpg
    1 147.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 2,557
I went with KennyD's suggestion of mounting the valve in the location it will go, prior to ordering any hoses. I mounted the valve on the right rear fender by simply drilling a couple holes and inserting bolts through the underside of the fender, into the valve. (I threw a few drops of Loctite on there for good measure)

I measured for my main 3 hoses first, the IN of the new valve, the OUT of the new valve, and the PB of the new valve. (My valve came with the PB sleeve already in, be careful when ordering your valve for PB, you may have to put the sleeve in yourself.)

Instead of a tape measure, I used an air hose to route where my lines would go, zip tied it in the exact place, and measured the length of that hose.

HOSE #1:
I measured out the lengths for the hose going from the power beyond of my 3rd function valve of my FEL to the "IN" of the new valve.
(If I didn't have the 3rd function valve, I would measure from the PB of my FEL valve)

This hose will be coming from the right hose in the first and second pic (which is the backside of my WR LONG solenoid valve) to the "IN" port in the third pic.

You can see how I used the air hose to help in measuring, this worked really well (although I still managed to order the wrong length hose :mad: but that was my own stupid mistake) Also, you can see where my fingers are on the ROPS is where I wanted to mount the PB QD's. (I was going to have separate QD for a dedicated PB port, but instead I skipped this step, and used one of the valves held in open position when using my splitter-more on this later)

The new valve "IN" port is an SAE 8 port, It took me a long time and a lot of TBN searching to wrap my head around the different types of fittings, and threads. There was already a JIC fitting on the Solenoid valve that the other end of this hose was connected to, and I decided to go with all JIC fittings, and just use adapters when needed. I ordered the hoses from Surplus Center (I found the already-made-to-length hoses with JIC female fittings from them, were cheaper than getting custom hoses from DHH-and since I would need so many hoses, this saved me a good chunk of money)

I attached one end of the hose (without any paste on the threads since it's JIC fittings) to the solenoid valve, then on the other end attached my adapter (90* SAE 8 to JIC) and then attached that to the IN of the new valve.
In the last picture, the IN port (and adapter) is all the way to the right of the pic.

Hose #1 Done.

Attachments

• Backside of WRL Valve.jpg
    Backside of WRL Valve.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 2,482
  • 1 175.jpg
    1 175.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 2,902
  • 1 164.jpg
    1 164.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 2,906
  • 1 162.jpg
    1 162.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 2,670
  • 1 166.jpg
    1 166.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 2,480
  • i-P7jKWd9-L.jpg
    i-P7jKWd9-L.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 2,065
A quick note, these fittings are obviously very well packed in there, and with all the hoses going every which way coming out of the valve, it is hard to tighten them down using a normal wrench, actually, I think it would have been impossible. I had NO room to spare with all of this stuff packed so tightly together. I followed a recommendation from Paulwestski to buy some angled combo wrenches to fit in the tight areas, these were also narrower than standard wrenches. I don't think I would have been able to tighten all my fittings without dissassembling the valve again, had I not had these wrenches.
V-8 Tools Wre Set Combo 16Pc Angle 8M To 23M | Wayfair

Thanks Paul! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• i-6TsbpfQ-L.jpg
    i-6TsbpfQ-L.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,681