Down pressure on 3 pt?

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #11  
what difference would that make if he had draft control... that does not equal down pressure.. etc.. ???

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #12  
I'm brainstorming here :eek: Thinking of a simple way to get down pressure on 3 pt.
How about a DA cylinder from the the draw bar to the draft arms. pulling the draft arms down. or using the bottom hole for the top link to attach a cylinder from there down to the draft arms, pushing them down under pressure?

Already have the remotes and the HTL cylinder, so I'm halfway there.
Never really needed down pressure that much, I do weight my box and blade, and with the HTL it's easy to get the perfect blade/ cutting edge angle to do the most work.

JB

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #13  
After the spring rains, the clay around here gets hard and around Aug. you might as well forget it.

We have red clay and when that stuff dries out it sets up like concrete.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #14  
why couldn't you use two cylinders the same as an fel, with a valve that had the same 'float' option to allow the 3pt to behave like a normal one when you wanted?

of course, the built in lift mechanism would be useless, and it does sound like a lot of work to convert.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #15  
why couldn't you use two cylinders the same as an fel, with a valve that had the same 'float' option to allow the 3pt to behave like a normal one when you wanted?

of course, the built in lift mechanism would be useless, and it does sound like a lot of work to convert.

That's not a bad idea. Perhaps one could attach each of the cylinders to the ROPS frame, thus saving a lot of fabrication work. It would provide the same functionality as the 3pt hitch with the added benefit of having down pressure. At least it sounds good in theory, but adding down pressure could also create traction problems.

EDIT:

Not that I've looked into it further, it appears that having down pressure isn't such a good idea afterall, and in certain circumstances it could even be a safety hazard.

Last edited:
   / Down pressure on 3 pt? #16  
When you have a tractor the size that most of us have, if you were to have down pressure or what you want to do and have the blade locked in position when you came across an uneven area you do not have enough mass to clear cut the ground and you would just be hung up with your wheels spinning anyway. This is one of the main reasons to have as much weight as is reasonable on the tractor and the implement. The tractor has traction and the implement has weight that will cut the ground.

If you have high and low spots to deal with on a regular basis, then I suggest that you get a land plane grader blade. (LPGB)

What brand is that?
I like the length!
:thumbsup:

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #17  
What brand is that?
I like the length!
:thumbsup:

LPGB is just an acronym for land plane grader blade. We here on TBN have so many names for this type of implement that a new guy would think that we were talking about 3 or 4 different implements in the same thread. :confused2: I may be contributing to that confusion, :eek::ashamed: but hope that many will start to call them LPGB also.

Both of my LPGBs are RoadMaster blades, long since out of business. The closest thing out there at this time is the Road Boss. Yes the runners are quite a bit longer than what are available today. My 5 footer has 6 foot sides and my 7 footer has 8 foot sides. :cool:

Attachments

• P4260025.JPG
    P4260025.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 260
   / Down pressure on 3 pt?

Now that could be done on my GL4240, because it has 2 SA Cyls for the 3pt. right now. I guess all that I would have to do is use 2 DA cyls. and plug into one of the rear remotes.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #19  
for machiens with no 3pt like the big ol letter series famralls and some w series Allis's.. saginow and other tractor shops make a hd dual acting kit for 3pt hitch.. lift and down pressure.. etc..