Down pressure on 3 pt?

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #1  

Leejohn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660
I"m starting a thread on this because I didn't want to highjack another thread. I asked about this and was given a link, but it didn't help me. Can you get down pressure on a 3pt? I guess there are some tractors that has it,but I have never seen it.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #2  
MOST stock tractors do not have 3pt down pressure.

A very FEW do.. usually some of the larger ones.

also.. some that did not have 3pt originally.. like AC and farmalls and JD's that have aftermarket 3pt kits generally have the capability for downpressure.. etc.

soundguy

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #3  
Most landscape loaders, also known as industrial loaders regionally and skiploaders in Western states have 3-point down pressure. They're construction duty and in the higher horsepower range except for the older Ford and Massey models. I ran quite a few over the years. Mostly used the down pressure feature as tilt on both sides though it was useful for keeping slight down pressure on the box blade during grading without having to deal with "box float".

Most skips didn't have a PTO, but I did run a Ford in the 80's that had one. A PTO is still available as an option on newer versions.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #4  
What are you needing down pressure on the three point for? I have a Beltec hydraulic post hole drill and it uses locking arms and a hydraulic cylinder for providing down pressure. When drilling it lets the drill push against the locking arms and tries to lift the tractor. Not really true 3 pt down pressure but it works. I have also seen other regular post hole drills that have a cylinder on them to provide down pressure.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt?
I was thinking more in the line that you could lock the 3 pt where ever you wanted. Like when using a rear blade or box blade and you could cut the high spots. After the spring rains, the clay around here gets hard and around Aug. you might as well forget it.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #6  
a box or angle blade adjusted correctly will have 'suction' into the ground for a cut, much the same way a plow does.

in hard pan you may need to rip it with scarafire teeth first, and or weight the blade and rip it first..

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #7  
The only tractor I've ever seen with 3pt down pressure was a Belarus.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #8  
A cheap way to get down weight is to add weight to the blade or box blade, but you will not have much control on digging depth. Adjustable runners would solve that, or wheels on the back.

/ Down pressure on 3 pt? #9  
When you have a tractor the size that most of us have, if you were to have down pressure or what you want to do and have the blade locked in position when you came across an uneven area you do not have enough mass to clear cut the ground and you would just be hung up with your wheels spinning anyway. This is one of the main reasons to have as much weight as is reasonable on the tractor and the implement. The tractor has traction and the implement has weight that will cut the ground.

If you have high and low spots to deal with on a regular basis, then I suggest that you get a land plane grader blade. (LPGB)

Attachments

• P4190015.JPG
    P4190015.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 2,314
   / Down pressure on 3 pt? #10  
I was thinking more in the line that you could lock the 3 pt where ever you wanted. Like when using a rear blade or box blade and you could cut the high spots. After the spring rains, the clay around here gets hard and around Aug. you might as well forget it.

Do you have a draft control lever ?