Ford 4000 started spewing fluid

/ Ford 4000 started spewing fluid #1  

banc123

Bronze Member
I have a 76 Ford 4000. It was leaking (drips now and then) a little from the pump and while using it yesterday all of sudden fluid started spewing out under high pressure on the right side of the tractor. I thought it was fuel for a split second and turned it off quick and got out of dodge. I could then smell it was hydraulic fluid. It was spewing from the pump on the left side out the right side.

The tube (looks like copper pipe) that comes out of the pump was loose and it was spewing from around the pipe. The nut was still tight, but if I pushed/pulled on the pipe it would go in and out of the housing easily. Appears to have lost its seal or something.

Wondering how difficult that is to fix and what part(s) I'd need and what the process is if anyone has done that or knows what the steps are ?

The top picture shows the pump I'm talking about, the bottom is a close up of the pipe where you can see its come out of the fitting a bit by the clean spot.

It only operates the lift arms, no FEL.

Thanks for any advice / help / instructions.

Attachments

• blowout1.jpg
    blowout1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4,088
   / Ford 4000 started spewing fluid #2  
from what it looks like you have a 3000 not a 4000 but thats beyond the point you need to go to your local nh dealer and tell them you need the pressure nut for the hyd. pump it will come with the nut and the seals you need to fix you problem unless your line has worn down then you will need to replace the line also and the pressure nut on the other end

and it easy to fix just remove the nut and the pip should pull up enough to remove the nut off of it then put the new one on and will screwing it into the pump push in hard on the pipe to make sure it seats

/ Ford 4000 started spewing fluid
Thanks, I was told it was a Ford 3000, but the engine replacement was with a Ford 4000 when I bought it. Unfortunately I had to have it rebuilt 2 years ago and the Ford Dealer confirmed it was 4000 block etc... He put it on a "dyno meter" and it had just over 50HP. Good eye, who knows what I really have I guess.

THANKS, I ordered that part today and hope it goes well.

/ Ford 4000 started spewing fluid #4  
Thanks, I was told it was a Ford 3000, but the engine replacement was with a Ford 4000 when I bought it. Unfortunately I had to have it rebuilt 2 years ago and the Ford Dealer confirmed it was 4000 block etc... He put it on a "dyno meter" and it had just over 50HP. Good eye, who knows what I really have I guess.

no it is a 3000 but most of them that had a new motor swaped back int the day had a bsd333 which is the 50hp for the 4000 because most larger dealer had that motor in stock and it was about the same price as a 3000 so that is a pretty common swap

but when asking for parts make sure you ask for a 3000 and not a 4000 because everything other than the motor is different

/ Ford 4000 started spewing fluid #5  
Make sure that you get the seal and small spacer washer out of the hole before installing the new assembly. I had a case where there was three washers still in the hole and I couldn't get the nut in far enough to compress the seal properly.

There are several threads on this site you can refer to as well. The main thing to remember is that these nuts and seals are basically one time use only, once it starts leaking you will need to replace the assembly. (not sure why but the nut must give a little when torqued down). I found a cheep supply (below ) but I personally cannot vouch for the quality, I got mine from the dealer just to be on the safe side.

Cheap Tractor Parts - HYDRAULIC PUMP COMPRESSION KIT

Remember to top off the fluid level too.

Good luck!:)

/ Ford 4000 started spewing fluid #6  
Good eye, who knows what I really have I guess.

ditto what WD said.. DO be sure to ask for parts for a 3000 when ordering.

that radius rod setup on the front end is a dead giveaway. the 2000/3000/4000su used them..

soundguy