1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage #1  

fowler6416

Tractor
1963 ford 4000
I have a 1963 ford 4000, the hydraulics and the pto stopped working. When I try to engage the pto it grinds. So I changed the hydraulic fluid and the rear axle fluid along with replacing the pto seal, pressure relief valve and seal, the 2 seals on the hydraulic pump. I replaced most of these things because they were leaking.
Does anyone have an ideas on the problem, both the pto and hydraulics stopped working at the same tim.

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage #2  
:welcome:

I'm not an expert, but one should be along shortly. Lots of very knowledgable folks here.

Off hand, I would say that your PTO clutch is stuck. That would explain the grinding. But I don't know about the hydraulics.

You might want to post this in the Vintage Ford or the N/H forums. It would probably get more replies.

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage #3  
Not sure on the 4000, but it was offered with either an independent PTO or transmissoin PTO. And on the independent, I dont know wether it was mechanical or hydraulic,

But I suspect that it is a hydraulic independent PTO, and the fact that the hydraulics arent working is probabally why your PTO is grinding. (It needs hydraulic pressure to apply the clutch to engage).

So it sounds like the hydraulics is the root cause of the problem. Maybe a bad pump??

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage #4  
I am not sure exactly what year ford started using hydraulically acuated ptos, but it sounds like you have one. Basically, you throw a handle which moves a valve. Hydro pressure works the clutch for your pto. My ford has this.

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage #5  
first off what transmission is in the tractor and is it 3cyl or 4cyl. The only 4cyl that had hyd. drive pto was with the sos trans the 4 and 5 speed where direct drive off the clutch with a straight no need for hyd to work for pto to work.

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage #6  
first off what transmission is in the tractor and is it 3cyl or 4cyl. The only 4cyl that had hyd. drive pto was with the sos trans the 4 and 5 speed where direct drive off the clutch with a straight no need for hyd to work for pto to work.

Yeah, I just looked it up. If it is a 4 or 5 speed, then it is definitely not hydraulic related. Is the tractor a select o matic?

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage
it is 5 speed, and not select o matic. It's a 4 cylinder. The hydraulics and the pto stopped working at the same time

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage
how do you check out the pump to see if its working properly

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage #9  
it is 5 speed, and not select o matic. It's a 4 cylinder. The hydraulics and the pto stopped working at the same time

Ok the pto and the hyd. will be separte issues since they dont operate of the same system so lets get the hyd fix then worry about the pto

how do you check out the pump to see if its working properly

to check the pump there should be a bleader screw on the side of the pump (it will take a allen wrench to remove) take it out with tractor running and see if you are getting any oil. If you are getting oil there move to the lift cover there is a plug with i believe to be a plug with 7/8 or 15/16 head remove it and see if you get oil if you dont check to see if the relieve valve in the bottom of the tractor is stuck closed.

/ 1963 ford 4000 - pto will not engage #10  
Ok the pto and the hyd. will be separte issues since they dont operate of the same system so lets get the hyd fix then worry about the pto

to check the pump there should be a bleader screw on the side of the pump (it will take a allen wrench to remove) take it out with tractor running and see if you are getting any oil. If you are getting oil there move to the lift cover there is a plug with i believe to be a plug with 7/8 or 15/16 head remove it and see if you get oil if you dont check to see if the relieve valve in the bottom of the tractor is stuck closed.

If I recall, that bleeder screw is on the top/back side of the pump. If it is the one I am thinking of, a regular allen wrench will not fit. I had to cut about 3/4" off of an allen wrench and use an open end wrench to turn it.

What chain of events lead up to your pto clutch not working? Did it go for a long time with out being used? The clutch friction disc is either rusted to the flywheel/pressure plate or your linkage is out of adjustment.