Ford 3000 3-point not working

/ Ford 3000 3-point not working #1  

Highmile

Tractor
Ford 3000
All,
I have a '73 Ford 3000 that recently blew the hyd line out of the pump.

Lowered the 3-point and drove directly to the barn. I replaced the pressure nut and refilled the fluid and expected all to well again.

However, not the case.

It worked perfectly beforehand and now it does not work at all. So, does the pump have to be primed and if so how? Or is there another issue?

I'm at a total loss....

Thanks in advance

/ Ford 3000 3-point not working #2  
first.. make sure you still have utf flidin the rear common hyd/diffy sump.

next, see if you are even pumping oil... pull the pipe plug inthe 3x5 option cover under the seat and se if you have oil bubbling there during cranking or at startup.. be ready to kill it fast cuzit'l make a gueyser..

once you know that you have flow, but don't have hyd lit, then check asc valve.

or if you have a SCV remote under the seat, make sure it is not kicked into a detent, and thus in bypass.

if you have flow but no 3pt and all controls are correct, then it may be time to buy the 15$ top cover kit. my next bet would be on stuck unload valve, and last bet on a stuck open relief or holed hyd piston.

post back

/ Ford 3000 3-point not working
Soundguy,
Thanks for the information.... I just wish I knew what most of it meant. I'm a good hand with a wrench but with cars/trucks.

yes, the rear diff/hyd is full. I pulled both the trans and the rear plugs and checked and filled as needed. The trans was just a bit low but I put about 1.5 gal in the rear.

Someone told me that I should pull the pipe plug on the lower rear of the pump and start the tractor to prime it. I have no clue if this is correct or not. I do see a plug there but really don't want to pull it and have a bunch of little parts fall into the dirt/gravel.

Pictures would help a ton.

Thanks
Highmile

/ Ford 3000 3-point not working #4  
I have a 960, so pics wouldn't help you, and I can't talk you through a 1000 model.

But rest assured, I think there is a very very strong chance you just need to prime the pump, nothing is wrong but some air in the way.

--->Paul

/ Ford 3000 3-point not working #5  
I feel your pain, I spent the better part of 2 years figuring out the 3pt problems on my 3000.

If it was working before, I would suspect that your pump just needs to be primed. There is a plug on the bottom side of the pump (see arrow in picture), on the end closest to the driver. You will need an allan-wrench to remove it. With the fuel turned off and the plug removed, crank the engine over until oil pumps out of the hole without any bubbles. Then with still cranking reinstall the plug.

If you plan on keeping the tractor for a while, I recommend buying an I&T Shop Manual for the Ford. Mine has been a handy resource for the repairs.

Good luck.

Attachments

• DSCF1449.JPG
    DSCF1449.JPG
    381.2 KB · Views: 819
Thanks for the replies.

I'm off to the barn to give it a try.

Thanks'
Highmile

Ok, Bleed the pump. First pulled the plug and covered with my thumb while I cranked it. Took a while until I got fluid. Put the plug back in and cranked some more with the plug loose until I had a nice clear flow of oil.

Still nothing....

So while running I loosened the plug and a little bit of air came out and then nothing but oil. Tightened the plug and still nothing.

Plan on dropping it off with the local repair shop later this week.

Highmile

/ Ford 3000 3-point not working #8  
I think you have to bleed the pump with the lever in the raise position. Then you move the lever a few times up and down and raise to bleed again. I would stop by and ask a service guy for sure. The local ford service tech has been a big help.

/ Ford 3000 3-point not working #9  
the pump pumps whether the 3pt handle is down or up.. it's not a clutch :( just controls the unloading valve.. :) :)

UPDATE:

Took the tractor out to load some horse manure today. Ran it for about an hour at various rpms. I was just about done when I was backing up and noticed that the arms were UP!

ran it up and down a few times and all seems well. Will hook blade up in a day or two to find out for sure.

Thanks all
Highmile