17 hp engine bogs down with my new pump. Do I need a bigger engine?

/ 17 hp engine bogs down with my new pump. Do I need a bigger engine?
The flow path goes straight from pump into valve and out the other end of the valve and heads straight back to the tank.

The valve is open center.

The machine the pump is on is my home made towable excavator/backhoe.

The specs of the pump on ebay could be wrong too. I'm not sure. It's really windy out right now. But once the weather clears up. I'll get out there and get the numbers off the pump.

Maybe the .cu's of the pump is more than what's in the listing. I know my old pump is a baby compared to this new pump. lol

Thanks

Chad

/ 17 hp engine bogs down with my new pump. Do I need a bigger engine? #12  
If you go to a larger pump, and keep the same rpm, the GPM will increase and if the pump is capable of producing about 3000 psi, then the HP requirement will go up.

For instance you use a 1.0 cu in pump and 3600 rpm, the GPM will be about 15

15 GPM and a pressure of 3000 psi will require about 31 HP.

Now, you can run this 1.0 cu in pump at about 1800 rpm and produce about 7.5 GPM, and that will require about 15 HP

Tell me again why you want to run the engine at low rpm using the pump you have now.

Is it the noise level or longevity of the engine and pump parts, etc

/ 17 hp engine bogs down with my new pump. Do I need a bigger engine? #13  
Chad,

They may have sent you the wrong pump. I just purchased the same pump with the same part number from Ebay but it has a 1/2" keyed shaft not 5/8" like yours. By the way, did you notice that the ports are stated as G1/2 and g3/8 in the listing?

/ 17 hp engine bogs down with my new pump. Do I need a bigger engine?
Chad,

They may have sent you the wrong pump. I just purchased the same pump with the same part number from Ebay but it has a 1/2" keyed shaft not 5/8" like yours. By the way, did you notice that the ports are stated as G1/2 and g3/8 in the listing?

I think your right. They probably did send the wrong pump. One of the ports on this pump is G 3/4".

Good thing is I did get it to work at lower rpm. Although not working the best but at least it will let me dig up the last 2ft of the trench I need for my water line.

I'll still just keep this pump and use it for something else later. But then again I may wind up putting a bigger engine on the excavator/backhoe.

I was planning on putting the current 17 hp engine on my sears lawn tractor anyway.

Chad