Zero turn drive pump relocation?

/ Zero turn drive pump relocation? #1  

Tenn_Blue

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 2320, Bobcat 322 mini-ex, Bobcat 763 skidsteer
I have a Deere M665 Zero turn mower. Unfortunately, with a blown engine. On this model, the hydraulic pumps are driven off a flywheel stub on the horizontal engine driveshaft (25hp kohler command) Each hydraulic pump is belt driven with a single serpintine type belt. Then the mower deck runs off an electric pto belt that runs off the back side of the engine, around a couple idler pulleys, and under the frame to the deck - it's a long belt....

I have a 27 hp VERTICAL shaft engine that runs good that I am considering adapting the mower to. The vertical shaft would be an easier fit to the mower deck IF I can adapt the drive pumps.

I can turn the drive pumps 90 degrees so the shafts turn down instead of back horizontally - making new brackets would be easy. The control lever tightens onto a shaft on the side of the pump, so that should swivel around with no problem either. My question is - will the pump "care" that it is now sitting at a different angle (on it's side...)? Basically would be switching from a horizontal plane to a vertical plane... Doesn't seem like it would make any difference, but figure if anybody knew.....

I know that the proper thing would be to get the "right" motor to go in it, but I already have the vertical shaft. Also, it seems that horizontal shaft motors demand a premium price over the same hp in a vertical shaft. Switching to a vertical orientation (seems most zero turns are vertical shaft now a days anyway) seems to be less loss (shorter belt, no idler pulleys, no plane change).

So how about it, hydraulic experts? Anybody know if this wouyld be a problem with the pumps?

/ Zero turn drive pump relocation? #2  
My Dixie Choppers have vertical shaft engines, driving a gear box which turn the pumps.

/ Zero turn drive pump relocation?
Thanks JJ. A buddy of mine has a Dixie Chopper - might need to go check out the setup it has....

Actually was hoping to use the same type belt setup as it has now, just put 2 pulleys on the vertical shaft - one (lower) for the deck (via pto), and the upper one to drive the two drive pumps.Would just reorrient the pumps from having a horizontal shaft/pulley/belt to a vertical shaft/pulley/belt. Would craft new mounting brackets for the pumps and have the shaft pass vertically through the engine mounting plate with the pulleys below the plate. The mechanics of it are fairly straight forward.

My big issue is if there is anything in the pump assembly that is orrientation dependant - some reason why it wouldn't work turned up on end.... I wouldn't think so, but wanted to check and see if anybody had more info....

I had also considered leaving the pumps where they are and using a 1 to 1 right angle gearbox (like for a mower deck or snow blower), fed off a pulley from the vertical shaft up to the horizontal pump drive belt. But I don't have one of those lying around and would have to buy one.... vs using scrap steel to create the mounts for a reorientation of the pumps...