Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter?

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter? #1  

akraven

Bronze Member
For adapters such as these Surplus Center - 3/8 NPT TO 1/4 NPT BUSHING is there any differience in buying a brass one at the plumbing store vs a hydraulic place? Not talking about black iron or galv pipe but brass. Thank you fo any ideas you can offer guys.

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter? #2  
They would be the same. What do you have in mind for there use? Use them in there working psi range.

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter? #3  
I dont know that the plumbing stores would carry high pressure fittings since mostly they would be for less than 150 PSI water. If the wall thickness is the same then OK to use, but look closely for a pressure rating. You want minimum off 3000 PSI fittings and that would be working in their upper range limit as the ratings are at 70F and as temps go up pressure containment goes down. At normal hydraulic temps you wouldnt have to worry about the temp influencing the pressure rating but many tractor hydraulic run 2400-2600 psi. Look for how much metal is left after subtracting for cut of thread. There might not be much on a hardware store fitting.

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter? #4  
   / Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter? #5  
I would want steel for hydraulics, not brass

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter? #6  
I steer away from brass in a hydraulic system, even low pressure stuff. If the fitting gets hit the brass bends way easier than steel. Don't use malable fittings either, it is just not worth it to save a few $$$. High pressure injection under the skin could cost someone their limb if not their life. CJ

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter?
Thank you for the reply gentlemen. I will go ahead and order some real ones online. Thank you.!!

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter? #8  
You didn't mention your application, but if it's hydraulics, you should be using steel, and not brass.

There is a significant difference between high pressure steel fittings intended for hydraulic applications and the kind of fittings you'll find at a local hardware store.

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter?
Thank you HHG it was to adapt the threading from a hydraulic hose to a cylinder. I did order some online since I couldn't find them locally (or at least reasonably priced locally)

/ Plumbing store vs Hydraulic store for adapter? #10  
i agree..

I know sometimes people see the cad plated hyd adapters and think htey are brass.. but no way i'd use brass in hyds. hate to use black iron even, unless on suction sides.. etc.. or NP returns...

plus.. many 'plumbing' adapters don't have the neat features you need / want in a real hyd adapter.. like for instance.. a swivel fem pipe fitting that nees that special concave beveled lip on the male side to actually seal, since in that union, it's not a thread sealing, but rather a mating machined surface.. etc...