Box Blade won't hold position...

/ Box Blade won't hold position... #1  

tkt2rde

Tractor
John Deere 1026R - 260 BH - H120 FEL - 54" AutoConnect Deck
Hi All, new to the forum... well, new to tractors. I just purchased a new 1026R this weekend with FEL, Backhoe, Mower, and Box Blade. I put the box blade on and after a couple hours of use, I noticed the box blade will not "hold" at the height, even with the lever blocked with the lever stop. In other words, if I put the lever at any given position... the implement begins to fall slowly (1/4 inch per second or so), then at about an inch of fall it "jumps" back up to position like the lever had been bumped. It repeats this cycle of fall down and jump back up.

Again, new to tractors... but I assume this is abnormal behavior. I cannot say for certain, but I do not believe it was doing this initially before the two hour mark.

I intend to call the dealer in the morning (over an hour away), but I thought I would post it here since this forum was so helpful when I was researching what to buy... and I fully accept the potential of a user issue here.

Thanks!

/ Box Blade won't hold position... #2  
That is somewhat common on a well used tractor, but shouldn't be so noticable on a brand new tractor.

--->Paul

/ Box Blade won't hold position...
Thank You Paul,

I wasn't sure if there was something I missed that was causing it... but I kinda figured it shouldn't do it. Especially when it is described by John Deere like this...

3-point hitch rockshaft control:
  • Known as position control; allows operator to accurately set rear implement depth or adjust cutting height of mid-mount mower when mower deck is installed
  • Operates precisely, with no jerking or leak down
  • Auto return linkage closes valve when implement is fully raised; this prevents the system from going continuously over into relief

I'll see what dealer says tomorrow... a little bummed, but hopefully it's an easy fix.

/ Box Blade won't hold position... #4  
I looked it up, your supposed to have position control, and it appears to be working, unfortunatly you have a severe internal leak in the 3 point cylinder or control. Causing your "leakdown" problem and the position control is bumping it back up. This causes the cycling. Definitely a dealer look at item.

James K0UA

/ Box Blade won't hold position...
unfortunatly you have a severe internal leak in the 3 point cylinder or control. Causing your "leakdown" problem and the position control is bumping it back up. This causes the cycling. Definitely a dealer look at item.

James K0UA

Thanks for the info James. Not exciting news, but even JD is allowed a factory defect now and again.

Sorta off topic... is it bad form to buy a tractor from one dealer and take it in for warranty work at another dealer a few days later? I went to buy from local dealer (12 miles) and it was going to take 5 weeks to get what I needed. I purchased from alt. dealer (62 miles) as they had everything there. I did purchase my x304 from local dealer.

/ Box Blade won't hold position... #6  
Thanks for the info James. Not exciting news, but even JD is allowed a factory defect now and again.

Sorta off topic... is it bad form to buy a tractor from one dealer and take it in for warranty work at another dealer a few days later? I went to buy from local dealer (12 miles) and it was going to take 5 weeks to get what I needed. I purchased from alt. dealer (62 miles) as they had everything there. I did purchase my x304 from local dealer.

They are all supposed to do warranty work for anyone no matter what, but they are people, and some might hold a grudge. But I would be willing to bet that most could care less where you bought it.

James K0UA