How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work?

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #11  
Just as oldnslo and others have said, the load or resistance dictates the pressure.

Light load, low resistance = low pressure.

Heavy load, high resistance = high pressure.

You are actually getting pressure from 0 to the max pressure of the component, be it hyd cyl or hyd motor.

The hyd motor or cyl will develop the pressure.

You want two different pressures, then run the pump output through a splitter with check valves and relief valves, and put different loads on the legs of the splitter.

Pressure also dictates the torque..

By the way, the original post was from 2003. by davesisk

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #12  
Thanks, J.J. It seems that you have answered my early question of orifice sizes. Assume a large orifice for volume then a small orifice for pressure. These are simply holes in a steel plate with controls. The orifices equal load. Right???

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #13  
Small orifices will increase back pressure but will not increase working pressure. Small orifices or restrictions increase friction which causes heat.

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #14  
Please ignore this reply if you're tired of my thick head...but, I'm making hydraulic components as a hobby, and gathering pumps to learn from. I have a 12V Mercury 140 trim pump I adapted to a small tractor. It operated in a 2-stage manner but has one set of gears (gear pump). Pump outlet seemed to go first to a larger orifice in a steel plate, then via various control components, to a VERY small orifice in the same plate. I operated it @ 1,000 psi but seem to remember spikes to 3,000 a couple different times. My latest home-made cylinder is 18" X 7", so a 2-stage would be desirable. 'Nough said, I'm getting embarrassed but still learning a lot from your replies.

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #15  
T
I have a gear pump that I hope to use on a logsplitter and hoped there was a way to get 2 pressures from the one set of gears. I suppose that is either not possible or too difficult/expensive. Thanks to all who replied.

You can not get two separate pressures at the pump outlet with one set of gears unless you do as JJ said and use a flow divider to provide two separate flow paths from the one set of gears. You will NOT have the same effect as using a Hi-Lo pump though.

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #16  
Please ignore this reply if you're tired of my thick head...but, I'm making hydraulic components as a hobby, and gathering pumps to learn from. I have a 12V Mercury 140 trim pump I adapted to a small tractor. It operated in a 2-stage manner but has one set of gears (gear pump). Pump outlet seemed to go first to a larger orifice in a steel plate, then via various control components, to a VERY small orifice in the same plate. I operated it @ 1,000 psi but seem to remember spikes to 3,000 a couple different times. My latest home-made cylinder is 18" X 7", so a 2-stage would be desirable. 'Nough said, I'm getting embarrassed but still learning a lot from your replies.

Oil is like people, it will take the path of least resistance.

A larger orifice will pass a greater volume of oil than a smaller orifice at the same pressure loss. Formula to figure pressure loss across an orifice is:

Flow in GPM = (24.12 times orifice area in square inches) times (square root of the pressure drop (PSI)).

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #17  
hello guys im also new on tractor net. I have a 11gpm pump on a 18hp briggs. will that pump work to motors. im wanting to put on a homemade dozer.

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #19  
good morning guys. mr j.j. I have not but I will . I don't know that much about hydraulics. the dozer I have just stop pulling and when I made it I had in mind to convert to hydraulics. but finding theres more to it thanks for your info. I tell you what I want you to do. HAVE A GREAT DAY.

/ How does a 2-stage hydraulic pump work? #20  
sfd ,

Your 18 HP engine can support a 9 GPM hyd pump with a .5 cu in displacement turning at 3600 rpm.

If you can use a hyd motor of.5 cu in, that 8 GPM will produce a shaft speed of about 370 rpm.

Will you drive the track sprocket directly or gear it down some more.

You need to start at the source of your HP and work to the speed you want the dozer to run.

Or determine the speed and work the figures backward to determine the HP you will need to get the job done.

I have one of the older Magnatrac mini-dozers M-1800 produced by Struck corp, with a 16 HP engine and they use a 4 speed trans axle to drive the track.

In low gear, you can get off the machine and eat lunch and the dozer has only traveled a short distance. 4th gear might give about 5 MPH.

Magnatrac

http://youtu.be/Zq8ESOgg5aQ

http://youtu.be/3Gqt_TfRlgo

Last edited: