john deere 750 hydraulic problem

/ john deere 750 hydraulic problem #1  

redneck521009

Tractor
john deere 750
Can anyone tell me what would cause the hydraulic fluid to fill the engine oil crankcase and come out the vent tube or overflow tube on the engine??? Just put a kit in the hyd pump and work good for about 10 minutes then started dumping engine oil and hydraulic fluid on the ground from the tube on top of the engine.

/ john deere 750 hydraulic problem #2  
Bad seal or crack in the pump.

/ john deere 750 hydraulic problem
which seal are you refering to? took the pump off and no cracks in it.

/ john deere 750 hydraulic problem #4  
The shaft seal, but you may not be able to eyeball the leak as it has to be under pressure, and the pump has to be installed to run.

A hyd shop can test it for you.

If you are using the same pump shaft, the old seal could have worn a grove in the pump shaft and a new seal may not help at all.

What was wrong with the pump for you to add a kit ? No or low pressure or just leaking?

/ john deere 750 hydraulic problem
the pump just kept getting weaker and weaker then would work sometimes and sometimes not, the mechanic suggested i put a seal kit in it which was $2.89 versus a new pump which was $816.00. He looked at the pump and said a kit was all it needed.

/ john deere 750 hydraulic problem #6  
Excerpts:

Surface roughness
The surface roughness values of the counterface for radial shaft seals, calculated according to methods described in ISO 4288 (DIN 4768), should be kept within the limits specified in RMA OS-1-1 (table).

The lower value for Ra is a minimum value. Using a lower value will adversely affect the lubricant supply to the sealing lip. The temperature rise caused by inadequate lubrication, particularly at high circumferential speeds, can lead to hardening and cracking of the sealing lip which will eventually lead to premature seal failure. If the counterface is too rough, there will be excessive sealing lip wear and seal service life will be shortened. If the value Rpm is exceeded, the seal will leak or excessive sealing lip wear may occur.

The seal counterface surface should be free of any damage, scratches, cracks, rust or burrs and should be properly protected until final installation.

Replacement
The lip of the replacement seal should not run on the same path as the lip of the old seal. There are several ways to achieve this:

– Rework or replace the counterface (this may entail removing the shaft).
– Install a wear sleeve.
– use a Speedi-Sleeve
– Install a spacing ring in the housing bore between the housing shoulder and the seal (fig).
– Press the new seal to a different depth in a cylindrical opening in the housing, i.e. toward the medium to be sealed.
When choosing a replacement seal, be sure that its design and material correspond to the original seal. In case of doubt, select a seal that meets the operating conditions of the application, and that the seal materials are compatible with the lubricant.

Seals made from a different material should only be used when absolutely necessary. In these cases, the recommendations provided in the table should be followed. The order in which the materials are listed is an indication of their suitability.

If a seal of the same design is not available in the same width as the original, then a somewhat narrower seal can be used, or if the depth of the housing bore allows, a somewhat wider seal can be selected as the replacement.

Another excerpt:

I had A happen on a John Deere grader transmission pump, for no reason it started popping the seals...The problem was excessive wear in the pump bearings causing pressure oil to bear against the seals, which were not high pressure seals..

Last edited:
   / john deere 750 hydraulic problem #7  
the pump just kept getting weaker and weaker then would work sometimes and sometimes not, the mechanic suggested i put a seal kit in it which was $2.89 versus a new pump which was $816.00. He looked at the pump and said a kit was all it needed.

Time for a new pump AND a new mechanic.......a seal kit will not bring back a weak pump.....if you have a weak pump it is because the internal parts are worn out, so in order to restore the pumps efficiency you'd have to replace all moving parts (gear set, bearings, housings).....

Looking at a pump internally does not constitute a good/bad pump diagnosis without using proper pressure and flow guages to test before taking apart

Your mechanic should have known this or you are paying for his education on hydraulics

/ john deere 750 hydraulic problem #8  
BTW....... a worn pump puts excessive pressure internally on the shaft seal, that's why the seal failed

/ john deere 750 hydraulic problem #9  
I have noticed that a lot of people will not take their hyd components to a hyd shop for testing. I am assuming that they want to diagnose the problem and install the componants themselves, which is commendable.

Although fixing your own stuff is gratifing, the diagnoses has to be correct in order to completely fix the item.

If a hyd shop does the work, then if it does not work, they should stand behind the repair, but if you did the repair, then you are responsible.

I just don't have all the fittings and shaft adapters, and the test bench to test some of the hyd componants.

There are some YouTube videos that show some of the bench testing of hyd components.