Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B1550, Kioti DK45 HST

Default Hydraulic weed eater

I have been kicking an idea in my head of building a tractor mounted hydraulic weed eater to cut steep banks with, and was wondering if anyone has done anything like this.

It is basically like a boom mounted brush hog, but only a whole lot lighter. I have access to some 2" fiberglass solid rods about 10 feet long. I am thinking of using a hydraulic motor to spin up the head and use either small diameter steel rope or chain saw chain for cutters. 3 small cylinders to adjust the reas and angle of the boom and head.

I could drive along the bottom of these steep banks and cut 1/2 way up, then drive along the top and reach the other half.

I'm thinking 3 pt mount, its own set of controls, cut width 36-48", total reach about 15 feet, a spring loaded break-away mount for the boom in case of hitting an unseen object that would other wise break the boom.

What do you all think of this idea?
    Do not go where the path may lead, instead blaze a trail so others can follow.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240, B7800 & BX2660

Default Re: Hydraulic weed eater

I like it and would like to do the same. I seen a picture of one the guy used a 2 cycle engine and only about a 21" cut, it looked real good. I have had my eye out for a old lawnboy, but no go. I don't know much about hyd. motors as for sizing. Do you think the 2" fiberglass solid rods would be better and lighter then alum.?

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Lee, I think these rods are about the same weight, maybe just a tad heavier, but I am sure they are stronger.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Here is the PowerTrac boom cutter, and some others built by a PT owner Stray.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -boommower1-jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Yea JJ thats what I'm talking about. Only I need a longer reach, the hills here in WV are higher. I'll take some pics of what I have to cut. Maybe I should rethink it and mount a brush hog on a small dozer.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

I have seen a hyd driven deck with a truck and winch setup that cut some very steep hills alongside roadways.

Just winch it up and down the hill.

or

http://youtu.be/nM-XnEEht6U

http://youtu.be/CZw1ZMPohhU

http://youtu.be/4ZEfn99oM_E

http://youtu.be/DN61pO94y-o

http://youtu.be/-rK4i4s8H9k
    Last edited by J_J; 05-21-2012 at 08:23 AM.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Super Star Member
    First organized permanent settlement in the northwest territory
    Tractor
    2003 Kubota BX1500/2004 Kubota Bx23/2005 Kubota BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinorider View Post
    I have been kicking an idea in my head of building a tractor mounted hydraulic weed eater to cut steep banks with, and was wondering if anyone has done anything like this.

It is basically like a boom mounted brush hog, but only a whole lot lighter. I have access to some 2" fiberglass solid rods about 10 feet long. of using a hydraulic motor to spin up the head and use either small diameter steel rope or chain saw chain for cutters. 3 small cylinders to adjust the reas and angle of the boom and head.

I could drive along the bottom of these steep banks and cut 1/2 way up, then drive along the top and reach the other half.

I'm thinking 3 pt mount, its own set of controls, cut width 36-48", total reach about 15 feet, a spring loaded break-away mount for the boom in case of hitting an unseen object that would other wise break the boom.
    * I am thinking about useing small diameter steel rope
    What do you all think of this steel rope idea?
    *Do not use steel rope .
    It's dangerous because the ends fray easy and become harmful flying projectiles when they break off.
    Tractors 2003 Kubota BX1500 / 2004 Kubota Bx23 / 2005 Kubota BX1500.
    Attachments 60'' Front Blade/48'' Rear Tiller/FEL/Back Hoe /
    60'' MMM/Clamp on Forks/48'' MMM
    South of Canton Ohio L .B

Tractor
    Kubota M 6800; Kubota B 2710; Gator; Bushhog ZTR; Volvo Mini Excavator EC45

Here they use a boom with about three hyd motors on them with large saw blades to cut tree limbs. Not sure you want blades on the ground in WV due to rocks. A few years ago there was a company in Ohio named something like Mico Mowers who made a boom mounted hyd motor string trimmer. Don't find them right off on Internet so no idea if have name wrong or what.
    Jeremiah 2:11a "Has a nation changed its gods, Which are not gods?

Tractor
    Troybilt lawn tractor

Rent a 'hydraulic' goat.
    Bunch of sheep will do the same; will simultaneously add hydraulic fertilizer to the equation.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    (2) IH284Diesels,GE-E8m,GE-E14 Elec-Trac's

I have thought about something like this for quite awhile myself. My app is similar to yours, banks along a path, banks along a creek,etc. and other areas that I can't run a lawnmower,brush-hog...or the stuff is too heavy for a weed-eater.

The other day, after reading here....it re-vitalized my interest.

I have a hydraulic concrete saw that is 14". I put a 14" carbide tooth wood blade on it, and temporarily C-clamped it under my backhoe bucket. I breifly tested it by putting the boom straight out at an angle and then tilted the bucket for the blade angle...and drove down one of my paths with a hill on one side.....it works darn good....I then backed into a huge multiflora bush and proceeded to wipe it out.
    I was controlling the saw with the remote rear hydraulics via a selector valve near my seat. The trigger on the saw held with a tie-wrap.

I think I will now make an adapter that bolts on to the buckets' water weep holes and clip onto the cutting edge too.
    One thing I did notice that is a problem, is when lowering my main boom...it is way too fast of a drop...not a problem digging, but too fast for this thing. Too easy to ruin an expensive saw and/or blade.

I am still going to do it though....I will add a skid plate type of thing so I can't mash the thing into the ground. I don't need to cut that short anyhow.

Hopefully I can post a few pics soon.
    "We, the Unwilling, Led by the Unknowing, set off to accomplish the impossible...the difficult...we do immediatly....the impossible just takes a little longer"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast