Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup)

/ Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup) #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
While I'm waiting to get my Kubota B3200, I've been investigating options on how to add more hydraulics. Ultimately I want to add a grapple - and potentially other - functions to the FEL.

I stopped by the Kubota dealer today and was looking at some of the stuff they had out on the lot - and happened across a B3000 Cab model - which has a pretty slick remote joystick setup where there is a joystick (called a controller in the Kubota parts catalog) - which is connected by what looks like 2 cables to the valve which is mounted in the "usual" spot on the right hand side of the FEL.

Even though my B3200 will not have a cab - I really like that setup because I could potentially add another joystick right next to the existing beside-the-seat joystick the B3200 has for it's FEL. Because I believe the B3000 and the B3200 share a lot of parts - I could probably make the whole setup look 'factory' - by using at least some Kubota parts.

The "controller" (or joystick) - is only like $328 according to the Messicks online parts catalog. But here's the kick in the you know what: the valve is like $1800 (Yikes!@).

I'm wondering if I could use the Kubota remote joystick - with some other valve (like something from Surplus Center). Are the hydraulic valves typically adaptable to be used with a remote? I see a kit on Surplus Center for Prince SV series valves (remote cable to valve) - and looking thru the selection of Prince SV valves on Surplus Center it looks like there's some options that might work for what I'm thinking of doing.

Anybody know if the remote cables for valves are any sort of standard? Or does Kubota maybe use Prince valves - so their controller joystick kit might work with a Prince valve?

/ Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup) #2  
I want one just so I can get on and off the right side.

/ Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup) #3  
Surplus Center - 2 SPOOL 25 GPM PRINCE RD522CCAA5A4B1 OC VALVE

Surplus Center - JOYSTICK CONTROLLER LEVER

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/Valves.pdf Page V49

VALVE CONNECTION kITS
RD5000 series kit* 660170037
LVS, LVR or LVT, kit (loader valves)** 660170029
SV stack valve or RD4100 kit*** 660170031
Series 20 stack valve kit**** 660170035

http://www.princehyd.com/Portals/0/products/valves/LVManual.pdf

Page 22

Prince valves have the regen to the extreme right

Whatever valve Kubota uses, the regen is in the first position.

Last edited:
   / Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup) #4  
JD also uses cable to control SCVs and Loader valves. The Loader valve on my 38 year old 2030 is cable controled. All the valves Loader and SCVs are cable controled on the 6415 (with the exception of the 3rd function loader valve that is solinoid controled.

Would be nice to know if all cable connections are the same or standardised, bet their not.

/ Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup) #5  
"Bowden" style push-pull cables are getting very common. Just watch the bend radius on them and also for moisture ingression. They get froze up in cold weather.

No most cable type controllers or joy sticks don't care what valve they attach to as long as the joy stick movement will fully stroke the valve spool.

Roy

/ Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup)
Thanks for the info everybody.

I spent some time crawling around the tractor last weekend trying to figure out exactly what I wanted to do - to add more hydraulic functions to the FEL.

My thoughts were:
- I wanted to be able to control a grapple - and not have to use a hand to do it (implies a foot control) - and I wanted to have the grapple not just be "on" or "off".
- I wanted to some hydraulic ports to the front that could be used for a hydraulic motor and not just a cylinder
- and I wanted to plumb in the provision for another hydraulic cylinder for something like "side shift".

Basically I wanted to have the ability to do just about anything.

As I started looking around at the layout of the tractor - it looked to me like the easiest way plumb all of this in - would be to cut in somehow to the backhoe hydraulics - rather than use power beyond on the existing loader valve. I confirmed that the tractor can supply enough flow by trying to operate the FEL and the backhoe at the same time (implying that if I tap into the backhoe hydraulic supply - I will be able to supply enough to operate the FEL and any auxiliary functions I add - at the same time).

I figure I will add a Fasse valve (or some other 12v diverter valve) - inline on the backhoe feed and return lines. There is enough space to fit the valve physically under the seat - I might just have to make up some custom brackets and get some custom lines made to adapt it in.

Then I went to the Surplus Center catalog and started looking around. My idea for the footpedal is to make up something similar to what Kubota puts on the B26 to control the backhoe thumb - a simple pivoting metal pedal that then operates a standard valve ( I might have to make a linkage or something - I still need to work out the details).

I found a joystick at Surplus Center that has a built in switch (good for operating the diverter valve) - and I put in an order for that:
Surplus Center - JOYSTICK CONTROLLER LEVER W/ SPST SWITCH

I saw the joystick you linked to J-J - but the one I ordered has the switch in it, more expensive but I like the simplicity of having the switch right there.

I still need to figure out the exact configuration I will use for the valve setup. But my thoughts are this:

3 valves - probably something like Prince SV valves stacked together.

One valve will be for operating the grapple - this valve would be controlled by the footpedal.
Second valve would be for operating another cylinder - I'm thinking of this as the 'sideshift' valve. I would operate this with the left to right function of the joystick
Third valve - a "motor" valve, this would be operated by the front to back function on the joystick.

I would mount the joystick on the LEFT hand side - approximately between the dashboard and the left side (left looking from the drivers' seat) FEL upright.

There is sufficient room in the area just around the floorboard/FEL upright to mount the valve block and hose hookups and so forth.

My biggest issue is just figuring out exactly which valves I should be using. I'm still a little sketchy on exactly how some of the valves function for instance. What I really need is to find a good tutorial on hydraulic valves functions.

For instance: I'm not really sure what "regeneration" is......

I think I've got the packaging and routing issues solved - I just need to figure out precisely how to lay out the hydraulics.

/ Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup) #7  
Have you looked to see what WRLong has to offer. Many of the grapple users here are using a joy stick button arrangement from them.

MarkV

/ Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup) #8  
In your thinking about a motor spool, you might need a motor spool detent valve or a solenoid controlled valve using a switch to operate. If you want variable speed, then a lever motor spool valve is called for.

As you add valves in series, keep in mind that up stream valves have priority, and can take full flow and not allow any fluid downstream.

If an upstream valve is only using 5 GPM out of a 10 GPM flow, then any valve downstream can use the other 5 GPM.

A way around this is a flow divider, which will divide the flow equally or a set ratio.

Regen is a valve function that allows the fluid from the rod end and the pump flow to merge at the base end of the cyl and produce fast reaction speeds, but with less power. Some valves have the regen in the first part of lever travel, and others have it at the far right on the lever movement.

As far as laying out the hyd, lay it out on paper using colored pencils or use the computer graphics program to lay out the system.

You might even consider something like this. Build your valve to suit your purpose . 12v operated valve bank.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9SV-5E-Y&catname=hydraulic

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9SV-3E-Y&catname=hydraulic

Last edited:
   / Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup)
In your thinking about a motor spool, you might need a motor spool detent valve or a solenoid controlled valve using a switch to operate. If you want variable speed, then a lever motor spool valve is called for.

As you add valves in series, keep in mind that up stream valves have priority, and can take full flow and not allow any fluid downstream.

If an upstream valve is only using 5 GPM out of a 10 GPM flow, then any valve downstream can use the other 5 GPM.

A way around this is a flow divider, which will divide the flow equally or a set ratio.

Regen is a valve function that allows the fluid from the rod end and the pump flow to merge at the base end of the cyl and produce fast reaction speeds, but with less power. Some valves have the regen in the first part of lever travel, and others have it at the far right on the lever movement.

As far as laying out the hyd, lay it out on paper using colored pencils or use the computer graphics program to lay out the system.

Thanks J_J. You're helping me put the pieces together on this.

For the motor valve - I'm thinking that variable speed would be a good thing to have. By "lever" valve I'm assuming you mean a valve operated by a lever (similar to a "loader" valve" - where the position of the lever is used to vary the flow?

I guess I was thinking lever valve for the motor valve - and using the joystick as the lever.

When you use a cable operated joystick - do they have their own return to center - or do they rely on the valves return to center (if there is one). I wonder this because - if I used a lever valve to operate a motor - will it allow me to to just open it and leave it open (to leave the motor "on") ?

I don't think that I would run into a problem stacking the valves - and have any issues with the downstream valve using all the flow - because I don't think I would end up with a situation where all three functions would need to be used at once.

/ Alternative for remote controlled valve (cab setup) #10  
Using a joystick for the motor spool, would require a detent to have the motor run continously.

If you are trying to vary the rpm of the hyd motor using a lever, you will have to hold the lever in a certain position. That is why a detent is preferred. You can vary the sped all the way to end of lever movement when you will go into detent, or just flip it into detent and let the motor run. A hyd auger might need some slow rpm at times, and also reverse.

If you detent the hyd motor on, it will take all the flow from downstream operation.

A spring center valve will return the spool to neutral.