Transmission Leak Ford 3000

/ Transmission Leak Ford 3000 #1  

OldTractorMan

Tractor
Ford 8n, 3000
Please help !
I recently purchased a 1964 Ford 3000 Gas tractor. Had to do some minor repairs to the carburetor and it now runs great. We added some transmission fluid today and when we started it back up a small stream of transmission fluid under moderate pressure streams from behind or under the starter. Upon inspection, there is a small seemingly drilled hole in the starter. Can someone tell me if this is an overflow, missing screw or a bad problem ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
Doug

/ Transmission Leak Ford 3000 #2  
first... nedd some clarification.

the 3000 is a 3 cyl tractor that came out for model year 1965.

model year 64 say 4 cyl tractors like the 2000 / 4000 4 cyl jobs.

what tranny do you have.. .. for a 3000 could be a 4spd, 6 spd, 8spd.. last 2 are twin sticks... or could be an SOS tranny.

if a 2000/4000 could have a 4, 5, or sos.

also.. the 3000 has a trans sump, and a common hyds / rear sump.

post pics of the machine, the leak, and the starter

/ Transmission Leak Ford 3000
Thanks for responding so quickly.
I typo'd the year (sorry) it is a 1966 (6M21B). So it is a 3 cyl gas with a 4 speed transmission.

Here are the pics you requested.

Thanks
Doug

Attachments

• My 3000.jpg
    My 3000.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 357
  • Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 685
  • Leaking Starter.jpg
    Leaking Starter.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 698
  • DSC01056.JPG
    DSC01056.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 951
   / Transmission Leak Ford 3000 #4  
that is some pretty nasty emulsified looking oil you are pumping out the starter mount flange there.

soon the starter will burn out.

first thing you need to do is unclog the bellhousing drain at the bottom of the trans bellhousing.. with oil coming out the starter.. I'd have a bucket ready.. you likely have a gallon in there...

clutch is likely soaked.. it CAN swell and ruin.. but sometimes you get lucky.

not.. if it really is draining trans oil that fast, input shaft seal may be gone.

double check that you are loosing tranny oil and not diffy/hyd oil.

/ Transmission Leak Ford 3000 #5  
that is some pretty nasty emulsified looking oil you are pumping out the starter mount flange there.

soon the starter will burn out.

first thing you need to do is unclog the bellhousing drain at the bottom of the trans bellhousing.. with oil coming out the starter.. I'd have a bucket ready.. you likely have a gallon in there...

clutch is likely soaked.. it CAN swell and ruin.. but sometimes you get lucky.

not.. if it really is draining trans oil that fast, input shaft seal may be gone.

double check that you are loosing tranny oil and not diffy/hyd oil.

also you can take the time plate cove where you will see the time marks on the flywheel fof and let some of the oil out

/ Transmission Leak Ford 3000 #6  
he gotta get it out of the bottom of that housing to save that clutch though.. the flywheel is already pumping it out pretty high!

/ Transmission Leak Ford 3000
Thanks so much for the excellent and quick information. We immediately drained all the fluid so the clutch was only soaked a couple of hours. Figuring it was beyond our mechanical skills, we called our local Ford mechanic the next day. He said it was the seal so we took it to him and he is working on it now. Luck was with us, the clutch is ok. Should have our 3000 ready to hog by this weekend !

Thanks again
Doug

/ Transmission Leak Ford 3000 #8  
cool deal. make sure that bellhousing drain is kept open. though with a new input shaft seal.. a rear main is your only real worry for oil clutch now.