Batwing Bushhog Question

/ Batwing Bushhog Question #1  

derekuk101

Bronze Member
Tractor
M5-111, M8540, M4900, Ford 3600
We have a landpride batwing that we are having difficulties lowing the wings. It seems like the pto shafts on the wings are seizing up and won't allow the wings to come down. The hydraulics let gravity bring the wings down and I was wondering if we could add lines to the bottom of the cylinders to add force when the wings are coming down. Right now we are only using two single remotes, and the tractor can handle 4. Could we add lines to the wings for the downward force without changing the cylinders..

/ Batwing Bushhog Question #2  
I would start by removing the drive shafts and seeing if they are the problem, possibly the hinges need freeing up.
If it is the driveshafts, I would free them up and grease them.

A remote has two couplers. When one coupler is pressurised the other coupler allows oil to return to the tank. So I am thinking you are using two remotes, but only one hose on each one. If the cylinders are double acting you could do what you mention, add a hose and make them double acting. Your remotes would have to have a float position so the wings will follow the ground when mowing. You would have to connect the hoses to the remote so you go from extending the cylinders (to lower the wings), to float.

/ Batwing Bushhog Question #3  
Double acting wing cylinders cause more problems than they cure. Find the cause of the wing drop problem and fix it.