grapple hydraulic setup 1026r

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r
I found out tonight that tractor supply doesn't have nearly enough fittings to plumb this project. They didn't even have 3/8 qc dust covers! I'm just going to have custom hoses made at the hydraulic shop in town. I didn't like all of the fittings it was going to take or the stock hose lengths. May as well do it right. I don't want leaks or ugliness. Any idea the difference in price between hard lines and hose?

Zebrafive said:
NOT RIGHT!

12 volt positive should NOT go to the valve from the battery.
The valve needs a ground.
12 volt positive for the valve should come from the switched (normally open) terminal of the relay
The relay needs a 12 volt supply to the common terminal of the relay. It should be protected, fuse or circuit breaker. It can be direct from the battery or from a source only "hot" with the key ON. As long as circuit choosen will support the amp draw of the valve.

The relay has a coil. When current energises the coil the relay switches the power to the valve. You need to get 12 volts across the coil of the relay. There are several ways to do that. If you want it to only work with the key ON you need to find a 12 volt supply that is only "hot" with the key on. You can then send this 12 volts to your joystick switch, from the joystick switch to the relay coil. Then gound the other side of the coil.
OR you can send this 12 volt supply to the relay coil, then from the other side of the relay coil go to the joystick switch, then from the other side of the joystick switch go to ground. This way may take less wire.

If the ground terminal of the valve is floating it should work. Surplus center datasheet may be wrong. It only shows two terminals hooked up.

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #13  
You should also add a diode at the Bosch valve, as close as possible to the valve connector. When the coil opens, it feedback voltage that can cause damage. I don't know the specifics of it, but it has been told to me a few times over the years by different people, so I'm pretty confident in the info. My wiring harness from Fasse had a diode soldered into it at the connector to the diverter valve, from the factory, FYI...

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #14  
Here is the reason for the diode.

When power is applied to the relay coil, a magnetic field is created and energy is stored in the coil. When power is removed, the magnetic field collapses causing a reverse voltage to be generated (it's called inductive kickback or back EMF). The back EMF can easily reach 200 volts. The diode will absorb the reverse voltage spike. This voltage, if not absorbed by the diode, will cause premature failure of switch contacts.

Flyback diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Surge Suppression and Diodes Installation Tips

I agree with the diode suggestion. I will make it happen.

After 11 hours Cad work is done for the grapple bucket! I sent the nested parts drawing to the plasma cutter man. Next week may be bucket fab week!

Here are some pictures of my design. I added teeth between the two front tines so i could pick up firewood while facing it instead of being beside it.

Attachments

• grapple 2.gif
    grapple 2.gif
    219.5 KB · Views: 551
  • grapple 21.gif
    grapple 21.gif
    213.4 KB · Views: 393
  • grapple 22.gif
    grapple 22.gif
    208.9 KB · Views: 379
  • grapple 23.gif
    grapple 23.gif
    234.4 KB · Views: 454
   / grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #18  
Will the added teeth affect your root rake ability?

I'm not really sure how it will work. I assume it'll be like having a big ratchet rake on the front. I copied it from a toro dingo grapple I liked. I have a backhoe, so digging out roots isn't a huge priority for me. I mostly want to use this to clean up brush, trees, and construction debris.

I just got a call from the hydraulics shop after dropping off the tractor. They want $150/hr and think it will take 2-3 hours to make my hoses. I told them I didn't want the hoses installed yet, just made up and they wouldn't give me a price. I think that's a lot of money for what they are doing. I think i'm going to just buy stock hoses online, cut off one end of each hose, and use repair ends to plumb everything. Is this a bad idea?