grapple hydraulic setup 1026r

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #22  
I just got a call from the hydraulics shop after dropping off the tractor. They want $150/hr and think it will take 2-3 hours to make my hoses. I told them I didn't want the hoses installed yet, just made up and they wouldn't give me a price. I think that's a lot of money for what they are doing. I think i'm going to just buy stock hoses online, cut off one end of each hose, and use repair ends to plumb everything. Is this a bad idea?

Just make your own from scratch: Re-Usable Hydraulic Hose Fitting Tutorial - TractorByNet.com

That is a great project you have going on!

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r
Thanks guys, I have my order ready for discount hydraulic hose.com now! I'll post a parts drawing and list for future reference...

25ft - R2-04 | 1/4" SAE 100R2AT Hydraulic Hose (by the foot)

8 - R2-04-604 | 1/4" Hose x 1/4" JIC Female (Steel)

2 - R2-04-504 | 1/4" Hose x 1/4" JIC Male (Steel)

1 - PTFE Thread Sealing Compound, 1/4 pint

10 - NPS-209 | 2.09" ID Nylon Protective Sleeve (by the foot)

6 - R2-04-104 | 1/4" Hose x 1/4" NPTF Male (Steel)

6 - 5405-06-04 | Extender/Enlarger, 3/8" NPTF Male x 1/4" NPTF Female (Steel)

6 - 6801-04-08 | 90ー Elbow, 1/4" JIC x #8 SAE/ORB (Steel)

2 - 5702-06-06 | 90ー Elbow, 3/8" NPTF Female x 3/8" NPTF Male Swivel (Steel)

Attachments

• 20120604165507.pdf
    47.9 KB · Views: 330
   / grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #24  
Solidworks user? Looks pretty good overall. Not sure about the way you did the front lower teeth, but if you have tried a similar design before and liked it, I can't argue with that.

I'm not sure if you have a SSQA mount or something else, but if you have the SSQA, make sure the whole face plate of the tractor mount has some contact with the grapple structure, either by hitting against a tine, or adding some reinforcement.

I also found adding expanded metal to the back of the grapple was a huge help in stopping sticks from poking my grill and hydraulic hoses and doesn't really hurt visibility. I used 3/4" x #9 flattened expanded.

I have Jd quick attach. I was planning on building the grapple first then deciding on how to attach it. I've built my own pallet fork carrier before so I know it's not too hard. I'll probably get some expanded steel from the scrap yard.

The more I think about the front rake arrangement I become more unsatisfied with the design. I'll have to think about it more.

Attachments

• grapple 2.gif
    grapple 2.gif
    222.3 KB · Views: 319
  • grapple 22.gif
    grapple 22.gif
    218.7 KB · Views: 352
  • grapple 21.gif
    grapple 21.gif
    244.4 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
Unwrapping my pallet felt like christmas morning! Plasma cost: $416 including material.

Harbor Steel in Prichard, WV does great work. I was surprised they wrapped the pallet and deburred the parts for me.

Attachments

• 2012-06-08 17.08.34.jpg
    2012-06-08 17.08.34.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 694
  • 2012-06-08 17.11.36.jpg
    2012-06-08 17.11.36.jpg
    615.7 KB · Views: 590
   / grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #28  
I just got a call from the hydraulics shop after dropping off the tractor. They want $150/hr and think it will take 2-3 hours to make my hoses. I told them I didn't want the hoses installed yet, just made up and they wouldn't give me a price. I think that's a lot of money for what they are doing. I think i'm going to just buy stock hoses online, cut off one end of each hose, and use repair ends to plumb everything. Is this a bad idea?
Price the custom made up hoses at your local NAPA store for a comparison. Use an air hose or the like as a surrogate to measure each hose as you progress toward the grapple and add a foot, have each set of hoses made up only on the upstream end, take them home, plug them in and finish measure, take them back for the downstream pressing along with the measurements for the next set and repeat.
Having watched all four sets of my grapple hoses being built, each one didn't take more that 10 minutes per hose and I was charged flat fees for the fittings, hoses and pressings.
You will need bulkhead brackets to turn the 90 degree corners at the FEL and a straight through at the docking/disconnect area, in my case a total of three. I built them out of 1/4" angle stock.
I know it's a lot of time and work building the hoses this way but I only wanted to do this plumbing job once-that was over a year ago and so far no re-builds.

Attachments

• MIE7.JPG
    MIE7.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 426
  • MIE10.JPG
    MIE10.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 576
Well I've already ordered the hoses and fittings but I appreciate the advice. I will need a couple of elbows to make it to the crossbar. I have considered stopping short though since my crossbar is much lower than yours and I don't want my qc's in the dirt.

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #30  
Making hoses is a 5-min job for a hydraulic shop, unless something very weird is going on. Cut hose to length, Blow out saw debris, put fitting on end and place in crimper and hit it. 10-15 sec later the hydraulic crimper is done, and you repeat on the other end. I watched them make mine when I put together my 3rd function diverter valve. They are set up for it and it is easy for them.

Whoever told you 2-3 hours was either trying to stick it to you or make you go away.