grapple hydraulic setup 1026r

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r
I got in a rush tonight because my back was hurting and the welds look awful. I overheated my welder too. I'll just have to try again tomorrow.

I also sent back my 1/4in hydraulic fittings to get 3/8 because only 8 of my fittings I ordered fit!!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120626_214310.png
    ForumRunner_20120626_214310.png
    543.8 KB · Views: 401
   / grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #43  
Thanks swick1. I've posted a few lines in the Welding forum and I've been shopping around for a stick welder. However, I'll have to add a new circuit with a 50amp breaker and 6ga. wire in my garage as most of the recommended welders are 240v. What are you welding with?

As far as expenses are concerned I have about $416 in the cut metal. It took almost a whole 4x8 sheet of 3/8 mild steel.

The cylinder and fittings to the quick connect were about $150.

The bolts nuts and washers were about $30

I have used about 7lb of welding rod and half a knotted wire wheel as well as a grinding wheel and die grinder stone so that's about $15

The steel tubing was $80

The paint and primer was $18

John deere quick tachometer parts were $78

So my total cost not counting labor was $737

I probably spent $50 in fuel to get everything together and I've got about 30 hours in it. If I were doing this commercially I could cut my costs by about $50. Even with a better welding setup with jigs and everything it would still take a day to build so I don't think anyone could cover their costs by selling this for less than $900. That doesn't count overhead either so a better number would be closer to $1100.

gumshu said:
Thanks swick1. I've posted a few lines in the Welding forum and I've been shopping around for a stick welder. However, I'll have to add a new circuit with a 50amp breaker and 6ga. wire in my garage as most of the recommended welders are 240v. What are you welding with?

I'm using a Lincoln ac only buzz box. I wish I had dc capability. 220v 50a

This is the only picture I have of it.

ForumRunner_20120628_062750.png

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #46  
I'm using a Lincoln ac only buzz box. I wish I had dc capability. 220v 50a

This is the only picture I have of it.

View attachment 271267
There is a lot of good talk about buzz boxes in the Welding forum. I'm shopping for a welder right now, but I'll have to wait a month or so until my new grapple is paid for. It's nice to look back at your work and know you built it. You should be proud. Nice job!

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #47  
Nice grapple...My question is did you come in under the cost of a pre-built unit or about the same? I saw a post on here about a http://www.markhamwelding.com/content/view/33/56/ and it was about 1k so not sure how much you have in this but it looks like a fun build.
I just bought that unit... now known as North American Implements. The 60" light grapple... to my door was $1240.00 and that was with a special discount. Shipping was $311 the grapple was $929. Without the discount, the grapple was $1129 plus shipping.

Tonight was 3 hrs of welding and grinding.

Note to self: its much faster to quit when your welds start looking bad than to press on and have a mess to clean up later.

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #49  
I got in a rush tonight because my back was hurting and the welds look awful. I overheated my welder too. I'll just have to try again tomorrow.

I also sent back my 1/4in hydraulic fittings to get 3/8 because only 8 of my fittings I ordered fit!!!

Are you changing the hose ends to 3/8 (#6 JIC) female swivels?
If so, I would use 2404-06-06 QC to hoses, grapple cylinder , 2501-06-06 hoses to grapple cylinder.
2706LN-06-06 Bulkhead fittings with a bracket similar to picture two in post #28 for tractor side QCs to hoses.

Six fewer fittings to do the same thing. Part numbers are from D.H.H.

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #50  
Pardon me for dumb questions but at 1026 Deere is approximately 25 hp. The grapple your building looks heavy enough for a 40+ hp machine. If I were building a grapple for my 4110 ( 21hp ) I would use 1 1/2 or 2" square tubing with an 1/8" wall. This is strong enough with a few gussets to withstand the abuse of the above machines. A 22' stick costs roughly 46 dollars. For $125. to include a scrap of sheet for the back plate the majority of the frame work would be complete. I would segment the grapple hooks with tubing and add 3/8" x 1 1/2" metal to the bottom side for additional strength at the welds and act as a contact for the brush / material your moving. The lazer cut pieces are top shelf in looks and durability but spendy for individuals like me who enjoy fabricating out of our steel surplus pile.
Like the thread indicates if your going to copy an existing design down to the lazer cut pieces your not gaining anything but welding experience. Fab shops have the equipment and get better material prices than single one time buyers. Many good comments and information exchanged.