grapple hydraulic setup 1026r

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r
Thanks Zebrafive. I placed my order this afternoon and everything should be here by wednesday. I'll use this weekend to prepare my electrical system. I'm going with a footswitch and no relay that I found at the auto parts store. The switch is used for a remote start and it's waterproof so it should work great. I found a perfect mounting point under my brake pedal to mount the switch, so i still have access to almost all of my controls and I won't have to worry about the joystick that was becoming a pain in the rear! I finished welding last night.

Pardon me for dumb questions but at 1026 Deere is approximately 25 hp. The grapple your building looks heavy enough for a 40+ hp machine. If I were building a grapple for my 4110 ( 21hp ) I would use 1 1/2 or 2" square tubing with an 1/8" wall. This is strong enough with a few gussets to withstand the abuse of the above machines. A 22' stick costs roughly 46 dollars. For $125. to include a scrap of sheet for the back plate the majority of the frame work would be complete. I would segment the grapple hooks with tubing and add 3/8" x 1 1/2" metal to the bottom side for additional strength at the welds and act as a contact for the brush / material your moving. The lazer cut pieces are top shelf in looks and durability but spendy for individuals like me who enjoy fabricating out of our steel surplus pile.
Like the thread indicates if your going to copy an existing design down to the lazer cut pieces your not gaining anything but welding experience. Fab shops have the equipment and get better material prices than single one time buyers. Many good comments and information exchanged.

One consideration of my design was that I wanted to be able to put it on a bigger machine when I get one, but thanks for the info. I agree with you. If it turns out to be too cumbersome I can always build another one :)

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #53  
That is a good idea. I tend to " overbuild " in some cases. Just thought for the size it could be lighter to increase the capability.
I will be quiet now and read !

We'll see what happens after testing, but my calculations say it could be made from 1/4" mild steel and still endure the loads it will be subject to. That would reduce weight by about 80 lbs.

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #55  
What did you calculate total weight to be?

350lbs without hydraulics for the one I built. About 400lbs all together.

By the way, I didn't get to do anything this weekend since our electricity just came back on and now I've got a lot of yard cleanup work to do :-(

Last edited:
Hydraulic fittings are delayed for 2 weeks, I guess this gives me time to paint and do electrical.

Here's where we are today... trying to paint this afternoon.

ForumRunner_20120704_104818.png

/ grapple hydraulic setup 1026r #59  
Wow, that grapple looks like you bought it swick1! I was wondering were did you mount your diverter valve on your lil' deere?

I haven't yet! I was planning on putting it on top of my right loader arm and building a shield over it.