7040 allis chalmer hydraulic problems

/ 7040 allis chalmer hydraulic problems #1  

nattynuts5886

Tractor
1940s mccormick deering 0-4, 170 allis chalmer, 950 john deere, 7030 and 7040 allis chalmer 986 international
Have a 7040 allis chalmer and thought the clutch was going out but then it started to work again just fine and all of the clutch and stuff is ran off of hydraulics and there was two fills on it they were both full and there was a caniester makeing a noies. We took it off and turns out it was a filter and looked like it was dirty. could this be the cause of the clutch not working?

/ 7040 allis chalmer hydraulic problems #2  
When you stated the "clutch was going out", what exactly was happening(or not happening at that point? There are two filters and a suction screen on that tractor, have you checked them all?

/ 7040 allis chalmer hydraulic problems
When you stated the "clutch was going out", what exactly was happening(or not happening at that point? There are two filters and a suction screen on that tractor, have you checked them all?
found one by the wheel and do not have a good blow up diagram to find the other ones. could you help me out on that? The clutch worked when i started it up cold but when it got warm it stoped. Thank You alot.

/ 7040 allis chalmer hydraulic problems #4  
There are two filters, one on each side of the rear main housing. It's many years since I've been there, but memory says the one on the left is the short one, the suction filter for the gear pump. The one on the right is the longer, it's the main filter ahead of the piston pump. The transmission is fed from a separate reservoir(fill tube and dipstick under the seat). The trans pump is a gerotor pump, totally hidden, with a suction screen in the trans. To get to it, the trans fluid must be drained, about six or so gallons I think. Don't think there is a drain plug, you have to drop the bottom cover. It should be a metal plate about 5" x 6" or so, just ahead of the trans/rear housing split point. Should be held on with 8 or so 3/8 bolts. the screen is right there, held onto the pump by the O ring, just pull it down by hand. At this point it might be a good idea to do so, just to see what kind of gray matter has collected on the plate. You didn't specify if it's the power director or power shift version, but the filters and such are the same. Makes a difference in diagnosing your drive problem. Did adding fluid make any difference?

/ 7040 allis chalmer hydraulic problems
There are two filters, one on each side of the rear main housing. It's many years since I've been there, but memory says the one on the left is the short one, the suction filter for the gear pump. The one on the right is the longer, it's the main filter ahead of the piston pump. The transmission is fed from a separate reservoir(fill tube and dipstick under the seat). The trans pump is a gerotor pump, totally hidden, with a suction screen in the trans. To get to it, the trans fluid must be drained, about six or so gallons I think. Don't think there is a drain plug, you have to drop the bottom cover. It should be a metal plate about 5" x 6" or so, just ahead of the trans/rear housing split point. Should be held on with 8 or so 3/8 bolts. the screen is right there, held onto the pump by the O ring, just pull it down by hand. At this point it might be a good idea to do so, just to see what kind of gray matter has collected on the plate. You didn't specify if it's the power director or power shift version, but the filters and such are the same. Makes a difference in diagnosing your drive problem. Did adding fluid make any difference?
adding fluid did not help, will try looking at filters and the screen. Thanks a lot. is it similiar to the 7030. thanks

/ 7040 allis chalmer hydraulic problems #6  
If the trans was not low on fluid, your problem may not be hydraulic at all. There should be a warning light on the dash for trans pressure. Does it ever come on when the tractor is acting up? Does it matter if it's in high or low range, fails in either? I think there are test ports on the power director valve to check pressures to the clutch packs, if so you might try to plumb a 300 psi or so gauge into a test port to see what it tells you. If all hydraulic checks look good, remember there is a torque limiter disc on the flywheel that drives the transmission. If it fails or slips the tractor may slow or stop under load as well.