Ford 2000 1973 model Hydraulic problem

/ Ford 2000 1973 model Hydraulic problem #1  

kennyl123

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 2000
Hi all I have a problem with my Ford 2000 hydraulics. I have the lift cover off and return filter out but the suction filter/pipe is under the pto shaft and engage mechanism. I have tried and tried to work the pipe in all directions but it hits the shaft or one of the recessed bolt holes in all directions. Did not want to tear into the pto if at all possible but there was about 2 to 3 inches of sludge in housing and return filter is totally clogged so I must get the suction filter out. What should I do. thanks Kenny

/ Ford 2000 1973 model Hydraulic problem #2  
Hi,
Did you see Soundguys post about my problem? Very similar.
He suggested rinsing out the sump with diesel and alcohol mix. I did what he suggested, except I used a light oil heating oil,(which I had in stock) plus I added blowing compressed air down the inlet tube from the pump end, which is a lot easier to get at, using a cork bung I cut to size and drilled a hole in. Repeated this numerous times. After draining and refilling with oil it worked straightaway.
It worked for me.
Kind regards,
Jim.

/ Ford 2000 1973 model Hydraulic problem #3  
1, the pto is easy to remove.

2, you need to completely clean that sump out.

the filter will usually be coated with an emulsified goo of oil and water.

as another posted.. if for whatever reason.. you don't or can't remove it.. do clean it with a fuel oil ( or mineral spirits.. or kerosene.. or diesel.. etc. ) solvent, and alcohol. the fuel will disolve the emulsified oil.. the alcohol will disolve the water making an azeotrope.. alcohol is a polar solvent.. water is poalr. use 90% alcohol from the drug store... it's 1$.. get plenty..... drain.. strain thru a tshirt.. geep going...

OR remove it.. etc...

not fords best invention.. that filter there..

I liek the x600 with an external hyd filter much better.. :) I know many that would rip that lower filter off.. though I don't reccomend it..

/ Ford 2000 1973 model Hydraulic problem
Hi,
Did you see Soundguys post about my problem? Very similar.
He suggested rinsing out the sump with diesel and alcohol mix. I did what he suggested, except I used a light oil heating oil,(which I had in stock) plus I added blowing compressed air down the inlet tube from the pump end, which is a lot easier to get at, using a cork bung I cut to size and drilled a hole in. Repeated this numerous times. After draining and refilling with oil it worked straightaway.
It worked for me.
Kind regards,
Jim.

Yes I did and thanks for the replies ....I finally removed PTO shaft cleaned sump and changed filter works now but I would not say its like new

/ Ford 2000 1973 model Hydraulic problem #5  
well.. it's 39ys old.. i wouldn't say it's like new either.. ;)