hydraulic bushhog

/ hydraulic bushhog #1  

ebeacham

Silver Member
Tractor
TYM 723
Has anyone mounted a hydraulic bushhog to a FEL and driven it with a PTO hydraulic pump?
If so; could you provide some details?
Thanks,

/ hydraulic bushhog #2  
What do you want to know?

If you have a hyd driven bush hog, then you need to have the GPM's and pressure to drive the pump, and you need the HP to drive a certain size pump.

Lets say your Bush Hog needs about 15 GPM and 3000 psi to operate the Bus Hog at the common 540 rpm.

Prince makes PTO pumps for different GPM's and HP limitation, and also for those tractors that have 1000 PTO speeds.

Anyway, you match up pump flow and pressure, but understand that most PTO pumps at about 2200 psi.

You then need a reservoir to handle the pump volume in GPM's. If the pump flow is 15 GPM, then you need a min of 15 Gal tank.

/ hydraulic bushhog #3  
Most hydraulic bush hogs have larger pumps mounted on front of tractor. Larger hoses and weight box is part of the return fluid. But then these are mounted on side of tractor also.
it would be nice if could use this method it would save the pto shaft and stump jumper with fluid driven shaft.
ken

/ hydraulic bushhog #5  
That is my summer look, and I take my hat off inside the house. I still have my hair so far.

/ hydraulic bushhog #6  
Noticed your about 10 years younger looking . of course just from memory
Enjoy reading your answers on problems with Hydraulic equipment.
ken

/ hydraulic bushhog
thanks,
Tractor is 74 hp
Just trying to figure out if it possible to do since I would like to be able to cut from the front of the tractor and move the brush hog up and down to mulch down small trees

/ hydraulic bushhog #8  
No reason why not.

You probably have about 68 HP at the PTO, and can drive the largest pump Prince makes.

You have 11.1 GPM on the implement pump and can drive a bush hog from that alone.

Pump type Dual Gear Pump
Implement pump cap.gpm(L/Min) 11.1 (42)
Steering pump cap. gpm (L/Min) 4.8 (18)
Max Total flow gpm (L/Min) 15.9(60)

You can probably use a hyd motor with splines to match the bush hog shaft and drive the gear box like this.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-7368-80&catname=hydraulic

/ hydraulic bushhog #9  
I would consider buying a ditch bank mower with hydraulic drive already engineered/supplied. Bush Hog and Woods make them. Then make mounts for the mower for your loader and get longer hoses.

/ hydraulic bushhog #10  
I would consider buying a ditch bank mower with hydraulic drive already engineered/supplied. Bush Hog and Woods make them. Then make mounts for the mower for your loader and get longer hoses.

That would be way more expensive than just adding a hyd motor and a relief valve across the motor, to what he has now. At least $1000 plus difference.

This is a direct driven bushhog, and you can bet it is about $3000.

http://youtu.be/60YC3sGn8Ss

This bad boy can also cut trees.

This bush hog below uses a hyd motor to drive the gearbox, but is still expensive.

http://youtu.be/DdwRrCQF41s

So if a tractor had 10 GPM at 3000 psi, the pump could transfer enough power for the hyd motor on the bush hog to develop ab0ut 17.85 HP .

A skidsteer with high flow at 40 GPM can transfer power to the bush hog to develop about 69.7 HP.

Last edited: