Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #1  

4500hoe

Tractor
Ford 4500 Tractor/Loader/Backhoe
This is on a Ford 4500 T/L/Backhoe

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #2  
Something is plumbed incorrectly. When swinging, one cylinder should extend and the other retract. Is it possible that hose connections were changed?

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #3  
Are you saying that the BH can't swing now as both cyl are extending?

What was the last fix you did to the BH?

Did you loan it out to someone?

Did you put a gage on either or both cyl?

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #4  
If nothing has changed in the plumbing, One cylinder could be bad allowing the oil to bypass internally.

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #5  
This is on a Ford 4500 T/L/Backhoe
I've owned a couple of the good old Ford 4500 rigs and they do things a little different on the swing system hydraulics. Both swing cylinders are set up to PULL on the end of chain that fits around the base of the swing pin.They are single acting cylinders with two hoses going to each one. One hose connects to the swing valve and feeds pressure to PULL [or retract ] Now the other smaller hose connects BOTH cylinders together . Ford didn't just put a vent on each like other peoples SINGLE acting cylinders , NO . So what happens is the cylinder get worn and start passing oil to each other. Usually the little hose breaks or leaks enough so things keep swinging. Disconnect the small hose and get ready to catch some oil as you operate ...or remove and rebuild [probably both } cylinders. You can sit down the bucket, set down the outriggers and block up under the backhoe, disconnect the big nuts on each side of the seat . Use the outriggers and down pressure on the boom to lift the hoe up a little off the lower pins . CAREFULLY and slowly drive forward while watching the tractor to backhoe hoses . Stop before you break a hose and you should have room to remove the swing cylinders from the chain and rebuild them. A shop manual can probably be found on ebay and explain it better. Sorry for such a long post. Be careful, its all heavy !!!

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #6  
Something is plumbed incorrectly. When swinging, one cylinder should extend and the other retract. Is it possible that hose connections were changed?
No it was working left and right only when it got jamed and I didn't know it was jamed and I was trying to work the controls that's when it happened . I need to know if I take one of the lines off the cylinder if the rod would go back in?

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #7  
I've owned a couple of the good old Ford 4500 rigs and they do things a little different on the swing system hydraulics. Both swing cylinders are set up to PULL on the end of chain that fits around the base of the swing pin.They are single acting cylinders with two hoses going to each one. One hose connects to the swing valve and feeds pressure to PULL [or retract ] Now the other smaller hose connects BOTH cylinders together . Ford didn't just put a vent on each like other peoples SINGLE acting cylinders , NO . So what happens is the cylinder get worn and start passing oil to each other. Usually the little hose breaks or leaks enough so things keep swinging. Disconnect the small hose and get ready to catch some oil as you operate ...or remove and rebuild [probably both } cylinders. You can sit down the bucket, set down the outriggers and block up under the backhoe, disconnect the big nuts on each side of the seat . Use the outriggers and down pressure on the boom to lift the hoe up a little off the lower pins . CAREFULLY and slowly drive forward while watching the tractor to backhoe hoses . Stop before you break a hose and you should have room to remove the swing cylinders from the chain and rebuild them. A shop manual can probably be found on ebay and explain it better. Sorry for such a long post. Be careful, its all heavy !!!

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #8  
Thank you you have broke it down in layman's terms that I couldn't get from any manual I greatly appreciate you giving me the time. Thank you

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #9  
Mudstopper is on it. Without seeing it I would say you have a piston packing out. Double acting cyls I am assuming?

/ Why are both of my swing cylinders extending when I try to swing either left or right #10  
The shop manual, I think had seven individual books, were so well written to explained the function and maintenance of the 4500 I had. Took almost a foot of bookshelf space. Best shop manuals I have ever seen. The 4500 engine kept the oil cleaner than any diesel I have owned.

Had to replace the chain for swing but never had your problem.