1989 Case 885 XL standard transmission 4WD Hydraulic Oil Level...

/ 1989 Case 885 XL standard transmission 4WD Hydraulic Oil Level... #1  

Lundy North

Tractor
Case 885XL, Case CX100
Hellow Chaps, If I check the level cold, its about 2.5" over the Max line on the dip stick, If I check it hot, just after switching off it is about 2" over the Max line.

Is it really over-full? What can be damaged by having it too full?

Any help appreciated, everything else on the old girl is fine :)

Adam

/ 1989 Case 885 XL standard transmission 4WD Hydraulic Oil Level... #2  
On my 885xl 2wd you check the hydraulic oil after idling for a couple minutes at 1400 RPM. I imagine the MFWD is the same but I would have to look. I image you are ok running it a little over full.

/ 1989 Case 885 XL standard transmission 4WD Hydraulic Oil Level...
Thank you Husker, I agree, it's just too full, is it worth draining, or will it not matter??

/ 1989 Case 885 XL standard transmission 4WD Hydraulic Oil Level... #4  
It is different than having your engine too full. I would not worry about it as long as it is not so full it is running out of places it shouldn't be. You are checking it with it running, right?

I'm an idiot Husker, I have been turning off and then checking it, thank you, I will re-check in the morning, with the engine on this time, I will report back :)

/ 1989 Case 885 XL standard transmission 4WD Hydraulic Oil Level... #6  
The system should be checked warm or operating temp.

If using no external hyd cyl for anything, the level should be on the mark.

If using an SA cyl, you may need extra volume for the additional cyl. Collapsed cyl has no fluid in it.

A DA cyl may have fluid on one side of the piston.

A 2 in bore cyl,with a 20 instroke may contain .27 gal of fluid.

Thank You J_J, of course, I didn't consider the cylinders, I checked it this morning, running, just a mess of oil right up the stick, so I filled both cylinders switched off, level was about an inch above max, but with cylinders empty it went up another inch and a bit, so I think all I need to do is make sure it never goes below the max and not worry about it :)

I hear you had a bit of rain last week! My boss lives in Stuart, but says the aquifer is still low?

Kindest Regards
Adam